• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harboring A Runaway

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ziyonex

I live in Montana.

Hi, I have a few questions about harboring runaways in Montana. If a 16 year old were to stay in a duplex or apartment where he/she had signed a rental contract and was paying an agreed amount every month, would the owner of the duplex or apartment be responsible for harboring a runaway? Would they be responsible if they knew the renter was 16?

Thanks in advance!

enchantingwoods

ummm....you have to be 18 to sign most contracts, especiall a rental contract, and yes if the apt owner decided to let you rent he can be charged for harboring a runway, and possibly some other laws too

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
enchantingwoods said:
ummm....you have to be 18 to sign most contracts, especiall a rental contract, and yes if the apt owner decided to let you rent he can be charged for harboring a runway, and possibly some other laws too
You got it wrong -
You have to be 18 (generally) to enter in to a binding contract. Heck, my 12 year old can sign a contract...just don't try to enforce it!
And, please cite some precedent for your statement that the LL can be charged with harboring a run-away...

enchantingwoods

You got it wrong -
You have to be 18 (generally) to enter in to a binding contract. Heck, my 12 year old can sign a contract..
way, way to take a satetemt literally. Acording to your logic if your 12 year old kid was to rent an apt, you really think they would let her.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
And esp not in this situation. and in most states if you are under 18 you cant live anywhere else w/o your 'rents info unless your emancipated. I mean how stupid would the apt owner have to be to let a 16year old kid sign a contract. and if he did, why wouldnt he be charged with harboring a runaway? huh? he would take a 16 year old kid without her parents approval, which in most cases can qualify for harboring a runaway....

zigner are you being so defesive because your in the same positon? huh???

Zigner

enchantingwoods said:
way, way to take a satetemt literally. Acording to your logic if your 12 year old kid was to rent an apt, you really think they would let her.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
And esp not in this situation. and in most states if you are under 18 you cant live anywhere else w/o your 'rents info unless your emancipated. I mean how stupid would the apt owner have to be to let a 16year old kid sign a contract. and if he did, why wouldnt he be charged with harboring a runaway? huh? he would take a 16 year old kid without her parents approval, which in most cases can qualify for harboring a runaway....

zigner are you being so defesive because your in the same positon? huh???

Nothing I said is incorrect - any more comments from the inane?

The Occultist

Actually, enchantingwoods, I would also like you to provide proof of what you say, because nothing I've found supports it.

Zigner

enchantingwoods said:
you are out of arguments so you resort to "nothing i said is wrong" bla bla bla.

sorry but i just Pwnt you.
Out of arguments? I'm not making an "argument". I am stating fact. Go home and ask mommy to rub your tummy...

Pwnt? What's that? I'm sure it means something to your grade-school friends - but means nothing to me.

HappyHusband

fairisfair said:
Ah, yes. From the definitive urban dictionary.
I now feel quite proud that I had no clue what that meant, and that I have no intention of including it in my vocabulary, or retaining it as a valid word.

So, if some young urban person were to say to me, "Yo, dawg, you jus got pwnt!", I'd be all like, "WTF u talkin bout, beitch?" Cause, seriously, I wouldn't know.

From the urban dictionary.

pwnt;

when u get totally owned lolz its so gg tho omg rofl tanks

hay my buggy in bf2 got pwnt!!!

oh noes MS crit for 2k!!! pwnt!!!!

fairisfair

HappyHusband said:
Ah, yes. From the definitive urban dictionary.
I now feel quite proud that I had no clue what that meant, and that I have no intention of including it in my vocabulary, or retaining it as a valid word.

So, if some young urban person were to say to me, "Yo, dawg, you jus got pwnt!", I'd be all like, "WTF u talkin bout, beitch?" Cause, seriously, I wouldn't know.

From the urban dictionary.

pwnt;

when u get totally owned lolz its so gg tho omg rofl tanks

hay my buggy in bf2 got pwnt!!!

oh noes MS crit for 2k!!! pwnt!!!!
I hope you don't think that I was being insulting to YOU, I just thought it was funny.

HappyHusband

fairisfair said:
I hope you don't think that I was being insulting to YOU, I just thought it was funny.
No, of course not.
Why would I think that? That was my first post on this thread.
It is funny, especially considering the source.
Kids these days, huh?:rolleyes:

fairisfair

HappyHusband said:
No, of course not.
Why would I think that? That was my first post on this thread.
It is funny, especially considering the source.
Kids these days, huh?:rolleyes:
I actually thought the whole idea of an urban dictionary was funny. I never know what all those acronyms mean. No wonder we don't understand our kids!!;)

T

thepizzaguy

Ziyonex said:
I live in Montana.

Hi, I have a few questions about harboring runaways in Montana. If a 16 year old were to stay in a duplex or apartment where he/she had signed a rental contract and was paying an agreed amount every month, would the owner of the duplex or apartment be responsible for harboring a runaway? Would they be responsible if they knew the renter was 16?

Thanks in advance!
Here is an intereting thread that Senior Judge answered and provided a useful link to.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=220894

My humble opnion from what I have read is that if the sixteen year old is not working and commanding an income then the landlord could be held responsible for that child's welfare if said child is living under his/her roof.

Hopefully some more of our inquiring minds will read the link and try and interpret it.:rolleyes:

As far as the sixteen year old signing the rental agreement - the rental agreement is pretty much toilet paper

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">