• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

He Wants His Car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SoonToBeAdults

What is the name of your state? Florida
My daughter's boyfriend is almost 18, he turns 18 in May. He is coming down here to live with us from Ohio. His car is in his mother's name. His grandfather on his dad's side paid for it and he has paid for everything that has been added to the car and the car insurance. His mother has paid for nothing. He has driven this car I know for about 2 years. Is there a way he can force her to give him the title once he turns 18? It seems to me like in small claims court or something if a judge listened to the whole story he would side with him and not his mother. She is using this as a bargaining tool to make him stay in Ohio. :confused:

BelizeBreeze

What is the name of your state? Florida
My daughter's boyfriend is almost 18, he turns 18 in May. He is coming down here to live with us from Ohio. His car is in his mother's name. His grandfather on his dad's side paid for it and he has paid for everything that has been added to the car and the car insurance. His mother has paid for nothing. He has driven this car I know for about 2 years. Is there a way he can force her to give him the title once he turns 18? It seems to me like in small claims court or something if a judge listened to the whole story he would side with him and not his mother. She is using this as a bargaining tool to make him stay in Ohio. :confused:
Legally, no.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Its not his car. It belongs to his mother. He pays to use it basically. And if he leaves the state he would be a runaway. If he leaves the state with your precious child then SHE could be in major trouble for kidnapping. You if you allow him to move him could also be facing charges. Hey but that is okay -- they are in luv!:rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">