• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HELP!!! Anyone familiar w/Juvenile Truancy, NYC Administration for Children Services

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bkbabexxx

If a 15 year old student is truant from school and has also been diagnosed with mental illness, what is New York City-Administration for Children Services (ASC) obligated to do for the child and his/her parents?

-Will ACS put this child in a foster home, mental institution, or diagnostic center? What are any other options?

-What can a lawyer do to work for the parent's best interest for the child, such as to leave the child in his/her home?

Any suggestions are appreciated. No answer is not the least bit unhelpful or too small.
ThanksWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Just Blue

If a 15 year old student is truant from school and has also been diagnosed with mental illness, what is New York City-Administration for Children Services (ASC) obligated to do for the child and his/her parents?

-Will ACS put this child in a foster home, mental institution, or diagnostic center? What are any other options?

-What can a lawyer do to work for the parent's best interest for the child, such as to leave the child in his/her home?

Any suggestions are appreciated. No answer is not the least bit unhelpful or too small.
ThanksWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Who are you in this situation?:confused:

bkbabexxx

Who are you in this situation?:confused:
I hope this clarifies the situation a bit better.

In November 2010, I was diagnosed with depression, anxiety, social disorder, and attention deficit disorder (ADD).

In December 2010, ACS charged my mother with substance abuse and child neglect.

In February 2011, as a result of those charges, ACS placed me in a state funded diagnostic center, in Mount Pleasant, upstate New York, away from all my family and friends.

In June 2011, ACS and my mother made a agreement that they would release me in to her custody with the exception that she plea guilty to all the child endangerment charges and agree to have another meeting in April 2012. They said if all goes well, in April 2012, the case will be officially closed.

Over the last four-five months, I haven't been able to keep a steady attendance due to my depression. I really do try to go to school, but some days, especially in the winter, I can't even make it out of the house.

Recently, my ACS worker made a unexpected visit to our home. My ACS worker was threatening to recommend I be placed out of my home again and into foster care. They don't have any regard for my disadvantage and want to punish me for the consequences it has caused.

Please post any of your opinions and/or suggestions.
Thanks, again. :)

Last edited:

MichaCA

Do you have a counselor/therapist? Someone to advocate for you as well as help you with your issues?

I presume its moms' job to be able to help you get out of bed and to school, and she's not doing that.

bkbabexxx

Do you have a counselor/therapist? Someone to advocate for you as well as help you with your issues?

I presume its moms' job to be able to help you get out of bed and to school, and she's not doing that.
I have a psychiatrist I see weekly, usually Saturdays. He could advocate for me at the approaching court date. Although, I wouldn't put money on it because he is never available. Besides, ACS says based on their investigation, he has proven to be ineffective. So that pretty much throws his word out in the trash.

Honestly, my mom does help me get out of bed in the morning and to school. She shows me tough love or no love. This whole situation has really weakened our relationship. We don't really even talk anymore like we did before.

You Are Guilty

When your mom went to Family Court on the endangerment charges, you should have been given a lawyer (called an "18-B" or "GAL" or "guardian ad litem"), who then should have been in regular contact with you this past year. That's who you need to be speaking to, not the ACS caseworker.

bkbabexxx

When your mom went to Family Court on the endangerment charges, you should have been given a lawyer (called an "18-B" or "GAL" or "guardian ad litem"), who then should have been in regular contact with you this past year. That's who you need to be speaking to, not the ACS caseworker.
My "legal guardian" wasn't anyway useful this past year. I made unreturned phone calls to her from the diagnostic center. For the six months I was there, she never made one visit. Luckily, she finally did call me the day before court to ask some obvious questions like "if I wanted to go home". I don't even think she will be at the upcoming court date. She usually sends someone to take her place.

It is mandatory that I speak to the ACS caseworker. After a child is placed back into their homes, there is a mandatory program you must take part in. It is called Preventive Services. The ACS worker has to make a minimum of two visits to the home each month. She has the right to search the house, ask questions and request any information from my school.

I really do think they are going to get their recommendation approved by the state. They can easily say I am being neglected again and dump me off in another hellhole.

Last edited:

bkbabexxx

For the people who have read this forum already and even those who may be reading it right now, do you not have any suggestions? Don't hold back any thoughts. I appreciate your comments, opinions, rebuttals, and of course, suggestions.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Ask your mom, or speak to your counselor at school. You should be able to request (or at least ask that one of them request) a psycho-educational evaluation and consideration for an IEP.

bkbabexxx

Ask your mom, or speak to your counselor at school. You should be able to request (or at least ask that one of them request) a psycho-educational evaluation and consideration for an IEP.

I haven't been to my school in months. Yet alone, I've only seen my school counselor once this year. I have heard of an IEP test briefly before. What is it an IEP? How can a IEP help with this situation? Where do you get?

Zigner

I haven't been to my school in months. Yet alone, I've only seen my school counselor once this year. I have heard of an IEP test briefly before. What is it an IEP? How can a IEP help with this situation? Where do you get?
An IEP is an Individualized Education Program. It will define things that the school/district will do to help you benefit from the education they provide. The school is where to start in your quest.

Why haven't you been to school in months?

dave33

For the people who have read this forum already and even those who may be reading it right now, do you not have any suggestions? Don't hold back any thoughts. I appreciate your comments, opinions, rebuttals, and of course, suggestions.
Many years ago I was in an almost identical situation. They can easily charge and convict mom. You can clearly see how the state can force a plea. The abscences from school are seen as mom's fault for which she will get in trouble. I have a couple of what I think are important questions.

How old are you?

When you say diagnostic center what do you mean? Is it a mental hospital? Is it a place where a lot of the kids go? How long did you live out of the home? Did you attend school?

bkbabexxx

An IEP is an Individualized Education Program. It will define things that the school/district will do to help you benefit from the education they provide. The school is where to start in your quest.

Why haven't you been to school in months?

Well at first my truancy, if thats what you would call it, started on and off in November. The last day I attended was in early January. Unfortunately, I am missing a lot of work and the chances are I am not going to pass the 10th grade. I have inquired about homeschooling. My ACS worker denied me it because she said it is only for people being bullied in school. I also am considering online schooling or special education for children like me. But everyone around me is working against me not with me. They think I am being defiant, rebellious, disrespectful, and a trend-setter.

Zigner

I suggest that you contact the school's guidance counselor and talk to him/her about what you've posted here.

bkbabexxx

Many years ago I was in an almost identical situation. They can easily charge and convict mom. You can clearly see how the state can force a plea. The abscences from school are seen as mom's fault for which she will get in trouble. I have a couple of what I think are important questions.

How old are you?

When you say diagnostic center what do you mean? Is it a mental hospital? Is it a place where a lot of the kids go? How long did you live out of the home? Did you attend school?

I am fifteen years old.

It was called the Pleasantville Cottage School Diagnostic Center. They have a website if you want to research their purpose, which isn't being carried out anyway. It is suppose to be a 6-9 month program for kids who are "emotionally troubled". There they diagnose you will a long list of things most don't have. Then you are sent off with a ziplock baggie full of pill bottles and sentenced your life until 18 to either a foster home, another institution for long-term treatment or ocassionaly kids are sent back home. I was one of those lucky ones because my mom fought during the six months I was in there. Most kids do get sent to places like that. It is almost like a jail. Nobody knows what really goes on in there. No real learning, diagnosis, or treatment. It was especially not a safe environment. During my stay, there were fights, riots, and fires.

It was a rundown cottage setting. There was a special education school on the campus. I was in the 12th grade because a 12th grader level was equivalent to a normal 6th grader. Even in there highest grade, the teachers were there just there to babysit us until we return to the cottage homes to watch tv.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">