• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help, help, help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jlancaster22

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia
What can I do about a school counselor who pulled my child out of class to question her about a crime I am being accused of?
Note that this counselor is friends with the accuser and asked personal questions about our home and about what she knew about the accusers home.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia
What can I do about a school counselor who pulled my child out of class to question her about a crime I am being accused of?
Note that this counselor is friends with the accuser and asked personal questions about our home and about what she knew about the accusers home.
Which law do you think has been broken?

LdiJ

How on earth can you say that without knowing the details?!

And really - I asked about the law, nothing else.
I wasn't questioning what you had to say, I was adding to it.:confused:

I cannot think of any scenario where it would be appropriate to question a child about crimes the child's parent had been accused of...unless the crime was abuse of the child or other children in the home, and in that case, I think that the parent would be asking about the school calling CPS.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

I cannot think of any scenario where it would be appropriate to question a child about crimes the child's parent had been accused of...unless the crime was abuse of the child or other children in the home, and in that case, I think that the parent would be asking about the school calling CPS.
I can.
The child was being bullied or such over the fact that his mother has been accused of a crime. And the counselor was trying to get to the bottom of it -- what the child knew/thought to help the child.

cyjeff

I easily can.

Perhaps the crime is domestic violence where the child was present at the parent's significant other's house when parent got violent. Child as possible witness and next victim.

Not only would the counselor be in the right for asking if the child was present... the counselor may HAVE to ask if the child was present once the incident is brought to light.

Jlancaster22

Well, I can go ahead and clearify some things for you, it was not domestic violence, or any type of abuse to the children. I was arrested Friday with a friend who happened to have some pot. The school counselor happens to be personal friends with my friends children's mother. That's why I was wondering. I don't feel like she talked to my child because she was worried about her well-being but because she wanted to get the scope for her friends. Might I also add in that we live in a town the size of Mayberry and Defacs was called. I wasn't worried about them at all passed my test with flying colors so case closed. All my case worker could tell me is that it was wrong for her to be questioned and I had rights as a parent and I should ecersize them. So now any helpful advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Well, I can go ahead and clearify some things for you, it was not domestic violence, or any type of abuse to the children. I was arrested Friday with a friend who happened to have some pot. The school counselor happens to be personal friends with my friends children's mother. That's why I was wondering. I don't feel like she talked to my child because she was worried about her well-being but because she wanted to get the scope for her friends. Might I also add in that we live in a town the size of Mayberry and Defacs was called. I wasn't worried about them at all passed my test with flying colors so case closed. All my case worker could tell me is that it was wrong for her to be questioned and I had rights as a parent and I should ecersize them. So now any helpful advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
Don't take legal advice from caseworkers. Most of them know nothing. What parental rights do you think were violated?

Jlancaster22

That's what I'm trying to find out. I'm 25 with guardianship of a 17 year old. This is my first time ever dealing with anything like this, that's why I came here to seek advice and knowledge and what rights might have been broken. Maybe a privacy right.

LdiJ

That's what I'm trying to find out. I'm 25 with guardianship of a 17 year old. This is my first time ever dealing with anything like this, that's why I came here to seek advice and knowledge and what rights might have been broken. Maybe a privacy right.
I think that at the most you are dealing with a counselor who behaved inappropriately. You could make a complaint to the principal about it if you feel strongly about it. However, I suspect that since this is a guardianship situation and you are only 8 years older than your ward that the counselor might be able to articulate a credible concern.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You are NOT a parent. YOu don't have constitutional rights to the child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">