• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help I need some good legal advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lal

What is the law regarding minors signing and notarizing a contract involving a settlement (a good amount of money) when he was out of state with another family member (ex in law) without his mothers (legal guardian) permission.

quincy

What is the law regarding minors signing and notarizing a contract involving a settlement (a good amount of money) when he was out of state with another family member (ex in law) without his mothers (legal guardian) permission.
What state(s) are involved, and what sort of contract was signed by the minor without his mother's permission? And why did the minor sign it?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
What state(s) are involved, and what sort of contract was signed by the minor without his mother's permission? And why did the minor sign it?
I think it was the out-of-state with other relatives that was w/o Mom's permission. i.e a runaway.

quincy

I think that there is not nearly enough information provided by lal to know what is going on - but I would be willing to hazard a guess that the mom is not happy about whatever it is that occurred. :)

latigo

I think you will find it true in any of the states that unless emancipated a minor is not competent to enter into a contract.

But as Q mentions there could be circumstances here which could otherwise confirm the settlement. For instance the appointment of a guardian ad litem for such a specific purpose.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">