• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help I'm 18, but my mother claims she's my legal guardian !

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ian Smith

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alaska

Help I'm an 18 year old boy from Alaska with a very mild case of Aspergers who got elected as a democratic delegate at my districts caucus this year. My mother is refusing to let me attend the state convention and whenever I tell her she has no say in the matter she responds by claiming she's my legal guardian and if I leave for the convention she'll call the cops and get me taken in. I have no recollection of her actually going through any sort of process to obtain this status, but admittedly I'm fairly ignorant of the law in this regard. All my teachers are skeptical of her claims, but I'd hate to get arrested and not be able to fulfill my delegate duties.

Please reply soon my mother has a history of lying to keep control of me and her mental health is questionable at best, if she's schemed her way to a legal guardianship I need to deal with this as soon as possible.

Sincerely,
Ian Smith

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Regarding Age of Majority in Alaska:

AS 25.20.010. Age of Majority.

A person is considered to have arrived at majority at the age of 18, and thereafter has control of the person's own actions and business and has all the rights and is subject to all the liabilities of citizens of full age, except as otherwise provided by statute.
However, we have no way of knowing how or if Mom has gained guardianship over you as an adult.

tranquility

If the OP were conserved, he would know it. It is not a matter of sending in a post card with a couple boxes checked.

Ian, are you a regional center consumer?

quincy

I have no idea what that is.
There are "regional centers" in California (tranquility's home state) that provide services for people with developmental disabilities. Those who qualify for services are called "consumers."

These regional centers appear to be a California thing, but Alaska might have something similar.

Ian Smith

I do get some government assistance in the form of one agency or another, but as I said I don't think she has legal authority over becouse of that.

justalayman

I do get some government assistance in the form of one agency or another, but as I said I don't think she has legal authority over becouse of that.
But that hints at there being a greater possibility because of that.

Ask your mother to show you the court documents from the hearing where she was appointed guardian of you as an adult.

akjulietanc

personal experiance

This original post is 45 days old, so maybe it's not a question any longer, but my 16 year old niece moved in with us a couple months ago & we're applying for legal guardianship so she can be on our private insurance (Denali Kidcare SUCKS for mental health services). I noticed that in several places on the court forms we had to fill out, it asks if the minor child, if over 14 years old, is in favor of the person chosen to be the guardian. The minor also must be present at the court hearing, in which they would be able to say "yes, I'm in favor of this guardianship", or, "no, I really don't like that person", etc...

So, I think it unlikely your mom was able to pull off becoming your legal guardian without you knowing anything about it...

Proserpina

This original post is 45 days old, so maybe it's not a question any longer, but my 16 year old niece moved in with us a couple months ago & we're applying for legal guardianship so she can be on our private insurance (Denali Kidcare SUCKS for mental health services). I noticed that in several places on the court forms we had to fill out, it asks if the minor child, if over 14 years old, is in favor of the person chosen to be the guardian. The minor also must be present at the court hearing, in which they would be able to say "yes, I'm in favor of this guardianship", or, "no, I really don't like that person", etc...

So, I think it unlikely your mom was able to pull off becoming your legal guardian without you knowing anything about it...
Guardianship of adult in need of services, or a vulnerable adult, is not the same as guardianship of a minor and that seems to be the issue at hand here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">