• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help -- juvenile trouble

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jacksondabney

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

Hello all,

Let's say four guys sneak out at 1:30 in the morning, two of which are fifteen and the others sixteen. The driver does not have his six months yet on his license. They have a case of beer and decided to drink. All of them were above the legal blood alcohol content level (and drinking is obviously illegal for anyone under 21). They were on a state park/river drop in site, built a fire, and drank/smoked cigarettes. The police was called on them, two squad cars showed up. Everyone hid except the driver, but the designated driver was told that they were not in trouble yet. Everyone came out and said that they were not drinking or smoking, as one person had ditched the beer in the woods. The officers find the beer, then tell everyone to get out their identification. As of now, it was most likely around 3:00AM. The officer identified everyone, asked for phone numbers of parents, and asked the kids to get in touch with their parents/legal guardians or they would be spending the night in some sort of jail facility. All parents show up except for the driver's parents as they were out of town. All four kids received tickets. What are the worst-best case scenarios that could potentially play out? Thanks!

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Hello all,

I am going to keep this in a hypothetical format.

Let's say four guys sneak out at 1:30 in the morning, two of which are fifteen and the others sixteen. The driver does not have his six months yet on his license. They have a case of beer and decided to drink. All of them were above the legal blood alcohol content level (and drinking is obviously illegal for anyone under 21). They were on a state park/river drop in site, built a fire, and drank/smoked cigarettes. The police was called on them, two squad cars showed up. Everyone hid except the driver, but the designated driver was told that they were not in trouble yet. Everyone came out and said that they were not drinking or smoking, as one person had ditched the beer in the woods. The officers find the beer, then tell everyone to get out their identification. As of now, it was most likely around 3:00AM. The officer identified everyone, asked for phone numbers of parents, and asked the kids to get in touch with their parents/legal guardians or they would be spending the night in some sort of jail facility. All parents show up except for the driver's parents as they were out of town. All four kids received tickets. What are the worst-best case scenarios that could potentially play out? Thanks!
Sorry, we don't do hypotheticals...each of the children should speak to an attorney.

Silverplum

Hello all,

I am going to keep this in a hypothetical format.

We don't do hypotheticals or homework.

What is the code under which you were cited?

The others have to seek their own help. We're going to discuss you or nobody.

Last edited:

jacksondabney

We don't do hypotheticals or homework.

What is the code under which you were cited?

The others have to seek their own help. We're going to discuss you or nobody.
I violated the Code Section '3-3-23' and 'State Law' was marked as well. Offense: 'ALCOHOL UNDERAGE CONS/PURC/FURNISH/POSSESS'

Thank you for not getting your panties in a wad over a mistake I made. We all make mistakes.

quincy

Hello all,

I agree with Zigner. These four guys should each speak to their own attorneys. Although it is possible they can all escape criminal records through diversion programs, they appear to have committed several various and assorted crimes during their early morning adventure at the park.

They possessed and consumed alcohol. This can lead on a first offense conviction to $300 fines and up to 6 months in jail and driver license suspensions. They could also be required to commit to community service hours and drug and alcohol programs.

They also possessed and smoked cigarettes underage, which is illegal in Georgia.

Park regulations may have been violated. Most parks have specific closing hours with fines issued to those who overstay their welcomes. Many parks have restrictions on setting fires, again with fines for violating the rule.

Some of these fellows tried to evade police and hide the case of beer.

The driver of these fellows did not have a legal right to drive them anywhere without a licensed driver.

Geez. Worst case scenario? Jail time, alcohol education classes, community service hours, driver license suspensions, suspension or expulsion from school (and from any school-sponsored activity like sports), hefty fines, a criminal record that can haunt them when looking for colleges or jobs or car loans or apartments or ... the list goes on.

That said, the young fellows could be lucky and have a kind prosecutor and a kinder judge. The best case scenario and the best chance these guys have of being lucky in court is to have attorneys who can work with the prosecutor to get them into diversion programs so they can escape having a criminal record.

I wish you and your friends good luck (and greater intelligence in the future).

Last edited:

jacksondabney

I agree with Zigner. These four guys should each speak to their own attorneys. Although it is possible they can all escape criminal records through diversion programs, they appear to have committed several various and assorted crimes during their early morning adventure at the park.

They possessed and consumed alcohol. This can lead on a first offense conviction to $300 fines and up to 6 months in jail and driver license suspensions. They could also be required to commit to community service hours and drug and alcohol programs.

They also possessed and smoked cigarettes underage, which is illegal in Georgia.

Park regulations may have been violated. Most parks have specific closing hours with fines issued to those who overstay their welcomes. Many parks have restrictions on setting fires, again with fines for violating the rule.

Some of these fellows tried to evade police and hide the case of beer.

The driver of these fellows did not have a legal right to drive them anywhere without a licensed driver.

Geez. Worst case scenario? Jail time, alcohol education classes, community service hours, driver license suspensions, suspension or expulsion from school (and from any school-sponsored activity like sports), hefty fines, a criminal record that can haunt them when looking for colleges or jobs or car loans or apartments or ... the list goes on.

That said, the young fellows could be lucky and have a kind prosecutor and a kinder judge. The best case scenario and the best chance these guys have of being lucky in court is to have attorneys who can work with the prosecutor to get them into diversion programs so they can escape having a criminal record.

I wish the fellows good luck (and greater intelligence in the future).
Thank you, Quincy, much respect towards you and your insightful response. I have seen plenty of other users on different posts--and mine--that go immediately to criticizing how the question was asked. I've heard from my fellow peers that the judges in Georgia are typically pretty lenient in terms of citations/tickets with minors. Thanks again.

jacksondabney

I will be meeting with a lawyer soon, but what would suggest pleading, guilty or not guilty? I know that with any traffic violation related tickets that you should always plead not guilty. New to anything related to law as I've never been caught up in something like this before.

Thanks.

quincy

I will be meeting with a lawyer soon, but what would suggest pleading, guilty or not guilty? I know that with any traffic violation related tickets that you should always plead not guilty. New to anything related to law as I've never been caught up in something like this before.

Thanks.
It is generally recommended that you plead "not guilty" at your first court appearance. The court will then schedule another hearing for a later date, allowing you time to find and consult with an attorney in your area.

If you are able to hire an experienced attorney who will accompany you to the first hearing, however, you should rely on that attorney's advice and direction.

For this being your first experience with the law, you sure decided to violate a whole bunch of laws all at once, huh?

I wish you good luck.

Silverplum

Thank you, Quincy, much respect towards you and your insightful response. I have seen plenty of other users on different posts--and mine--that go immediately to criticizing how the question was asked. I've heard from my fellow peers that the judges in Georgia are typically pretty lenient in terms of citations/tickets with minors. Thanks again.
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

quincy

Speaking/typing in that disrespectful manner is yet another 'mistake' you've made. Grow up, and remember whatever manners your family taught you.
Aw, come on, Silverplum.

That phrase you are criticizing jacksondabney for using is used frequently by many members of this forum (although I agree with you that it shows disrespect and a lack of manners).

edit to add: Oops. And I thought that you were being thanked by the young man, Silverplum. :eek:

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
At the very least, none of you boys will be driving for a while. If you were my kid, and the state didn't suspend privileges? I would.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">