• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help-- maybe a juvenile drug charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trevor99

MAINE: so yesterday a friend of mine was pulled over for speeding, but I was not in the car, I'm 17. My backpack, which had about a gram of weed in it was searched after the officers dog was barking. The officer found and took the weed from my bag, and took photos of my schoolwork and my school issued iPad. I have not been contacted or received a summons yet. Another friend of mine has been caught with 10 grams and a scale, and he was let off with "no further action" after being made to speak to a juvenile officer. What do you think will happen to me, or have any advice for me? I have no previous record, arrests, charges or anything. I'm applying for colleges and just recently applied for federal financial aid. Should I be worried about my future?

LdiJ

MAINE: so yesterday a friend of mine was pulled over for speeding, but I was not in the car, I'm 17. My backpack, which had about a gram of weed in it was searched after the officers dog was barking. The officer found and took the weed from my bag, and took photos of my schoolwork and my school issued iPad. I have not been contacted or received a summons yet. Another friend of mine has been caught with 10 grams and a scale, and he was let off with "no further action" after being made to speak to a juvenile officer. What do you think will happen to me, or have any advice for me? I have no previous record, arrests, charges or anything. I'm applying for colleges and just recently applied for federal financial aid. Should I be worried about my future?
Its probably time to tell your parents what happened and for them to help you get advice from a local criminal law attorney. However, I do think it would be difficult for the cops to prove whose weed it was. Your backpack was not in your possession and you were not present, and there is no proof it was in the backpack when you turned it over to your friend. Your friend was present and the backpack was in his possession but it would be difficult to prove that he knew it was there or put it there.

Do not talk to the police without an attorney present.

FlyingRon

However, I do think it would be difficult for the cops to prove whose weed it was.
Do not talk to the police without an attorney present.
It wouldn't be hard if he shot his mouth off about how the drugs got into the bag. Hence advice #1.

Of course, the tesimony of the "friend" would also be pretty damning.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Once in a while we get a recovered lost bag with marijuana in it.

Unless the owner admits to it being his when he comes to claim the bag we really have no case against him, therefore it would be in your best interest to not say anything. In addition, if you are so concerned about your future you should stay away from illegal substances.

Where is the bag now?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">