• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help Me to Finish Out Highschool

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hickerson1

What is the name of your state? Texas
Im a 16 yr old male living in Alvin Texas. My mother is in the process of a divorce an is trying to move me to Teague Texas. With the Geographical Restrictions she had to remain here. Allowing me to finish out high school in Alvin. I have lived here for 7 years an i want to graduate here. What can i do to remain here please help me.
Thanks Will

Silverplum

What is the name of your state? Texas
Im a 16 yr old male living in Alvin Texas. My mother is in the process of a divorce an is trying to move me to Teague Texas. With the Geographical Restrictions she had to remain here. Allowing me to finish out high school in Alvin. I have lived here for 7 years an i want to graduate here. What can i do to remain here please help me.
Thanks Will
Get your Dad to file an objection. There's nothing you can do: you're a minor.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Get your Dad to file an objection. There's nothing you can do: you're a minor.
Incorrect, SP. In TX, OP can file an Affidavit of Preference, stating which parent he wants to live with (at 16, s/he is more than old enough). While it is not binding on the judge, it will be taken seriously, assuming the parent OP prefers to live with is not unfit.

Silverplum

Incorrect, SP. In TX, OP can file an Affidavit of Preference, stating which parent he wants to live with (at 16, s/he is more than old enough). While it is not binding on the judge, it will be taken seriously, assuming the parent OP prefers to live with is not unfit.
:eek: OMG!!! You are SO right, and I was SO wrong! :eek: I totally forgot about that TX quirk.
*whacks self in head...wanders off to eat cereal and contemplate Texans...*

Thanks for the correction, Stealth. :) Sorry, Hickerson!!

Hickerson1

thanks

Thanks but my mom isn't married to my real father.He has no rights over me they were removed from him when i was 8.What can i do then??

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Then your best bet would be to talk to your Mom about your wishes and whether there is any way you could finish HS where you are now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">