• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help for my stepdaughter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

saltalamacchia

What is the name of your state? Mississippi

My stepdaughter is 16 and she is pregnant. Her boyfriend is 18. Her maternal great grandmother has custody of her. They are trying to send her to a home for unwed mothers and make her give up the baby. She will turn 17 in June and the baby is due in October. My questions are:

1. Can they have him arrested for statutory rape?
2. Can they FORCE her to go to this home?
3. Can they FORCE her to give the baby up? (She doesn't want to.)
4. If she did go to this home, can the home FORCE her to give up the baby?
5. She has also been told that the school can have her boyfriend arrested. Is this true?

Thanks in advance!

Ozark_Sophist

How old was she when she got pregnant? Whoever has legal custody of her can place her where they wish, be it a boarding school, military school, or home for unwed mothers. She cannot be forced to give up her baby for adoption. In addition, the father has rights in this situation as well.

Other posters will be along.

Ozark_Sophist

Age of consent is 16 in Mississippi. So he cannot be charged with statutory rape.

I'm not sure what you meant by question 5. The school can make him stay off property (no trespass), but cannot prevent him from seeing his child, nor can the school force her to give the child up for adoption.

saltalamacchia

Her aunt. They originally wanted her to have an abortion. She doesn't want to go to a home for unwed mothers. She wants to keep the baby. She has told them all this but they are insistent. Now she is scared they can make her give it up and that they will have her boyfriend arrested. I'm afraid they will trick her into giving it up. They are very controlling and manipulative people.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Why isn't your husband filing for custody of HIS daughter. And what is he doing in this entire situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">