• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help Underage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

punkrox_08

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Last night some friends and I were at a party with underage drinking. My friend, who had not been drinking or doing any illicit drugs was driving some me and a few friends across town. My friend forgot to turn the headlights all the way on, we passed a cop who pulled us over. The instant the officer got to the car he said he smelled alcohol. He then pulled the driver out breathalyzed him, he passed with flying colors. The officers then started to interrogate me, I said i had not been drinking, was cooperative and polite, but refused to take a breathalyzer test. The cops gave me the pen test twice and asked me to touch their finger, which I did without a problem. I was then told I smelled like alcohol (i had a fresh piece of orbitz in and just had been sprayed with perfume). People in the back of the car did not have to blow and were free to go. Another friend in the front seat next to my blew a .09. I do not want to be charged with underage and feel they have no proof against me. What should i do?

*Side note when the officers asked if I was in college I replied "yes sir" the proceeded to inform me how all college students drink. I replied not me sir and they blew the comment off. Is this a form of profiling?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Last night some friends and I were at a party with underage drinking. My friend, who had not been drinking or doing any illicit drugs was driving some me and a few friends across town. My friend forgot to turn the headlights all the way on, we passed a cop who pulled us over. The instant the officer got to the car he said he smelled alcohol. He then pulled the driver out breathalyzed him, he passed with flying colors. The officers then started to interrogate me, I said i had not been drinking, was cooperative and polite, but refused to take a breathalyzer test. The cops gave me the pen test twice and asked me to touch their finger, which I did without a problem. I was then told I smelled like alcohol (i had a fresh piece of orbitz in and just had been sprayed with perfume). People in the back of the car did not have to blow and were free to go. Another friend in the front seat next to my blew a .09. I do not want to be charged with underage and feel they have no proof against me. What should i do?

*Side note when the officers asked if I was in college I replied "yes sir" the proceeded to inform me how all college students drink. I replied not me sir and they blew the comment off. Is this a form of profiling?
No. They had probable cause to pull over the car. So how much did you have to drink? You most likely did smell like alcohol. Gum and perfume do NOT destroy the scent of alcohol. The fact that you refused to take the breathalyzer is a refusal by the way. You can expect a license suspension. You feel they have no proof? I beg to differ. If you are charged they have proof.

outonbail

The cops gave me the pen test twice and asked me to touch their finger, which I did without a problem. I was then told I smelled like alcohol (i had a fresh piece of orbitz in and just had been sprayed with perfume)
OK, so you smelled like a perfumed, orbitz sucking underage girl who had been drinking alcohol.
Another friend in the front seat next to my blew a .09.
I can see why you didn't want to blow.
I do not want to be charged with underage
The only way to avoid this, is not to consume alcohol until you're of legal age. Unfortunately, your post reads like this advice is a little late.
and feel they have no proof against me. What should i do?
I hate to be the one to break the bad news, but what you "feel" and the way things work in the real world, are two different things. The officers testimony alone, from what they smelled when they were questioning you and what they observed in the field sobriety tests they administered, will be all the proof the judge needs to convict you of this offense.

No, this is not profiling. They pulled your friend over for a vehicle code violation. A violation that is common with people who are intoxicated or impaired.
Once they approached the vehicle, they smelled alcohol. Since this was a car full of underage people, they investigated further. Not even close to profiling dear.

I notice you haven't denied the fact that you were drinking, only that you would have covered the smell of alcohol up by dousing yourself in perfume and eating breath mints.

Unfortunately, these things do not mask the scent of alcohol on your breath. It still comes through very clearly and is easily recognized.

Speak to an attorney or three in your area and see if there is some sort of diversion available for first time offenders which will keep this charge off your record.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
OK, so you smelled like a perfumed, orbitz sucking underage girl who had been drinking alcohol.
You are assuming the OP is a girl.
This could be a perfumed orbitz sucking underage boy. Which would really do no good.

punkrox_08

No. They had probable cause to pull over the car. So how much did you have to drink? You most likely did smell like alcohol. Gum and perfume do NOT destroy the scent of alcohol. The fact that you refused to take the breathalyzer is a refusal by the way. You can expect a license suspension. You feel they have no proof? I beg to differ. If you are charged they have proof.
I was not driving the vehicle and the person that blew a .09 was a girl and i by the way am a guy

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
So how does that entitle you to break the law? If you are under the age of 21, drinking is illegal, period. It doesn't matter if you were driving or not, the fact that you were drinking is enough to charge you.

And don't tell me you weren't drinking. They don't have to have a video of you drinking as "proof". No one has to see you drinking. THERE WAS ALCOHOL ON YOUR BREATH. That's all the proof they need.

punkrox_08

i feel that SMELL alone is an extremely circumstantial piece of evidence to convict upon. Smell cannot be accurately gauged or definitively defined, such like that of a breathalyzer, which I have a right to decline. Smell would be probable cause for further investigation but not a citation.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I was not driving the vehicle and the person that blew a .09 was a girl and i by the way am a guy
And you wearing perfume would not be suspicious? WEre you capable of being in control of the vehicle from where you were sitting? Yes there is caselaw where a passenger was legitimately charged with OVI.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
i feel that SMELL alone is an extremely circumstantial piece of evidence to convict upon. Smell cannot be accurately gauged or definitively defined, such like that of a breathalyzer, which I have a right to decline. Smell would be probable cause for further investigation but not a citation.
You are wrong. Sorry but no. And you really think you have the right to decline a breathalyzer?

RRevak

You are wrong. Sorry but no. And you really think you have the right to decline a breathalyzer?
But OG you just dont seem to understand that of course he has the right to decline a breathalyzer test! Its his constitutional right!
And the PD's right would then be to immediatly slap the verdict of assumed guilt right on his constitutional self ;)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What you feel the law ought to be, and what the law is, do not necessarily coincide.

Samantha Lynn

Everyone who has responded...

To this kid asking for guidance and help, acts like they never illegally drank before, and it amazes me that you can all be so judgemental.. None of you offered any advice or direction or even PRAISED the fact that he was smart enough to have a designated driver. All of you, get off your high horse, and if you don't I sure hope none of you have children and treat them with such little compassion. It's how kids and young adults learn! When they are given the opportunity to stand, and fall, all on their own... Adults should guide children, especially when they reach out for help.

As for you, drunk little college boy, what exactly are they charging you with?? When I was 18 I got an MIP (minor in possession) because I was hammered and I ran out of the party with a beer in my hand. As bad as the ticket looks, it is very unlikely that it will stay that bad. When I got my ticket for the MIP, I was terrified because the citation was marked down as a misdomenor and I knew it would stay on my record. However, I appeared in court and as long as I met a few court ordered requirements (AA Classes mostly) before my next court appearance, my misdomeanor would be dropped to an infraction and within a year was completely dropped from my record. If you want help and advice, you have to tell me what the citation says, including the offense number, but just breath and relax, this isnt going to be a life changing issue. The police are going to make you do classes and meet requirements for court and make you pay restitutions. Think of it as you're first adult time out! And get back to me about the citation!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Not all of us drank illegally. I was 23 when I had my first drink - and in those days it was legal a lot younger.

So, little smart ass, watch your mouth.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I also never drank illegally, Sammy-Lynn. Neither do my kids - both are adamant about remaining straight-edge. So poo to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">