• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Helping a 16 yo run away from abusive mother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zoya

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I'm a 39 yo single mother of a 15 yo girl. Her 16 yo friend from school is dealing with an EXTREMELY unstable mother who threatens, intimidates and scares the girl with tantrums and other "bipolar" behavior. She has been cutting herself and hiding out in the garage at times to get away from the abuse, and she is feeling suicidal. She is determined to run away, and I don't want her to be on the street, or end up in an unsafe situation. Can she stay with us while we make a CPS report with the Sheriff, etc - because she's scared do death of her mother and wants to already BE in a safe place before she files a report. AND she wants to be sure she doesn't have to go back home afterwards, because she would be severely punished...

What steps do we take? I want to help.

Happy Trails

Zoya said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana

I'm a 39 yo single mother of a 15 yo girl. Her 16 yo friend from school is dealing with an EXTREMELY unstable mother who threatens, intimidates and scares the girl with tantrums and other "bipolar" behavior. She has been cutting herself and hiding out in the garage at times to get away from the abuse, and she is feeling suicidal. She is determined to run away, and I don't want her to be on the street, or end up in an unsafe situation. Can she stay with us while we make a CPS report with the Sheriff, etc - because she's scared do death of her mother and wants to already BE in a safe place before she files a report. AND she wants to be sure she doesn't have to go back home afterwards, because she would be severely punished...

What steps do we take? I want to help.
Get a hold of Child Protective Services below.

http://www.state.in.us/fssa/families/protection/dfcchi.html

Zoya

Her father...

When the girl admitted she wanted to run away, her father begged her not to leave, saying he would kill himself, if left alone with the psycho-mom. Sad, indeed. She is a good student in a small conservative private Christian school, and even her Pastor has agreed she needs to find a way out of there. Very sad.

Here's the scenario: The girl comes to me, crying, begging not to be forced to go back home, she's scared to death of her mother, she can't take one more day in that house, she's cutting herself, she's hysterical. ok, I do WHAT, exactly....

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Her pastor is, I believe, a mandated reporter. As is a school counselor, teacher, etc. The situation MUST be reported. You risk serious legal trouble if you simply let her move in with you. Which will risk your parenting time with your own children.

Tell the Pastor he has to make a call. Have him call the police. When he hangs up, you call the police. When the police get to your house have the girl tell them everything. Call CPS. Call everyone you can think of that the girl knows. There has to be someone who is not intimidated by this mother.

Or if you speak to the father, have the father tell the police that he gave permission for the girl to stay at your house. You have to do something NOW because if the mother finds her at your house, I am afraid of what might happen next.

It wouldn't hurt to get the girl into a treatment center for cutting. Some have died from this affliction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">