• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hey I'm 17 and was just charged with underage possession of alcohol?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JamKBear

What is the name of your state? Virginia

Hey I'm 17 and was just charged with underage possession of alcohol after I passed out drunk after a friends party. The cops got called and what do you know, I got charged with underage possession of alcohol and failed a breathalyzer test. I have a court date set in August and I'm really worried about what'll happen. I've heard I won't have to do jail time or lose my license, but how will this affect my future? Will colleges or employers look at this? Is there any way I could get the charges dropped? Thanks guys.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And tell me why they should drop the charges? Are you exempt from the law?

Employers may or may not see this; probably not but I'm not offering any iron clad guarantees depending on what you ultimately get charged with. Colleges - I don't advise that you hedge your bets when it comes to applications.

JamKBear

Dropped probably wasn't the word I was looking for, I was just wondering if I could do extra community service, attend classes or pay extra fines in order to possibly have the charge not show up on my record.
What do you mean by "Colleges - I don't advise that you hedge your bets when it comes to applications?" I would have guessed employers would have a much better shot seeing my record than colleges, especially since I'm a pretty good student (3.7, 2120 SATs, 32 ACTs), I was just stupid for one night in my life. This is my first anything, by the way (first offense, first party, first beer, first time getting drunk) and I can swear that it will be my last.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It's rare for an employer to see juvenile records. It can happen, depending on what job you're applying for, but it's not at all usual.

Colleges, on the other hand, are looking at you while you're still a juvenile, or just barely out of it. It's been a while since even my own kids were looking at college applications but I'm willing to bet they can see it if they want to.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Sorry, I meant to add;

If this is truly a first offense, then I don't think community service is completely out of line as a potential sentence.

JamKBear

Thanks a lot for your responses, I haven't really found that much info on it and its nice to find someone willing to help.
Alright its good to know I'm not completely screwed because of the worst night (and worst day after) of my life. If anyone else has any advice, I'd really like to hear it.

Hot Topic

I once worked for a company that fired an employee when they discovered that he was arrested for being drunk and disorderly on campus, a little something he neglected to mention on that portion of his resume.

VeronicaLodge

who puts "got drunk and arrested" on a resume? where on his resume should it have been? or do you mean on his application and they asked "where you ever arrested"? that i could see. we constantly refuse to hire and fire people for lying on their applications

JamKBear

A lot of applications I've looked at ask if I've been charged with a felony or "other," so I guess that's what he forgot to fill out.
It looks like I won't be getting a good bunch of jobs....

FlyingRon

I've sifted through thousands of resumes over the years. I've seen lots of bizarre things included on a resume that ought not to be there, but I've never seen people advertising their convictions or drinking problems.

You don't put negative information on a resume period.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">