• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

High School Drop Out!!!!!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Japanshe

What is the name of your state? California

I have taken the CHSPE and applied for Independent Study but still am enrolled. I failed the CHSPE by 10 points and was sent into a nervous breakdown. I am now very confused. What would I have to do in order to Drop out of High School?

- 16 year old in Cali

J

Japanshe

I need full Time employment to help out my family. The pressure at school and at home to get a jobs makes my life very difficult. I will only drop out if iy is my last resort.

rmet4nzkx

See your guidance counselor. You can take the test over again, there is no limit of the numer of times you can take it, you can take one section at a time if you need more time to complete the section, you don't have to take over a section you passed, so if you passed one of the sections but not the other, not all is lost, simply reschedule the test section you need to retake and study in the mean time you should do better next time. If you have a disability, speak to your counselor about ADA educational accommodations. Even if you pass, you need your parent's permission to drop out of school. You also need to see where CHSPE is accepted.
http://www.chspe.net/about
In California you will not be allowed to work full time unless you are 18 because of child labor laws and will be difficult to get full time work any way because a lot of people are out of work and most will want at least a high school deploma or GED, CHSPE may be good for some things including going to college. I worked part time (30+ hours) through high school and supported my family following my father's death and graduated early by taking extra classes, this was before CHSPE, and attended college while my high school friends were still there, eventually earned BA,MA&PhD while employed fulltime, it can be done. If your family needs you to work contact social services, also your counselor may have other referrals.

Last edited:
J

Japanshe

I do not have the money to take the section again. Plus it is not until March...the next test I mean. If I have a parent permission note to just simply drop out...can I?

J

Japanshe

I just plain ans simply want to leave school and work as much as I can legally...I am not going to go to social services...**** that. I just need to work to help support my mother and myself.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Realistically speaking, you're not going to do much supporting on a minimum wage job. What does Mom do? Is she able to work? IS she working? Does she get child support from your Dad?

Dropping out is really a lousy solution to the problem.

CdwJava

Japanshe said:
I do not have the money to take the section again. Plus it is not until March...the next test I mean. If I have a parent permission note to just simply drop out...can I?
Nope. CA state law makes it a misdemeanor to be truant from school - and it is compulsory until graduation or until you are 18 years old. In fact, your parents can be charged and arested for YOUR truancy. So, there is always a chance that when you show up for work (if any employer will hire a school age child without a work permit) and arrest you for truancy.

And, yes, they DO arrest parents for allowing your truancy ... I know, because I served the arrest warrants.

- Carl

rmet4nzkx

Japanshe said:
I just plain ans simply want to leave school and work as much as I can legally...I am not going to go to social services...**** that. I just need to work to help support my mother and myself.
Hey I didn't have money to take either SAT or ACT tests so couldn't even get a scholarship, If you need to help support your mother, you are not giveing us the whole story and you are not accessing your options, social services may be able to assist you in resolving the problems you and your mother face and there may be services to assist, same for your guidance counselor at school, perhaps there are funds to pay to take the test again. Dropping out of school is not the answer and affects your whole life.

J

Japanshe

So it is impossible to drop out...that does not seem likely...I just want to fail out and leave...school is not for me. My father does give us child support but not enough. My mother cannot get on any welfare type of program because she makes too much money but not enough for her and I...just the bills. There has to be a way around the truancy violations.

BelizeBreeze

Japanshe said:
So it is impossible to drop out...that does not seem likely...I just want to fail out and leave...school is not for me. My father does give us child support but not enough. My mother cannot get on any welfare type of program because she makes too much money but not enough for her and I...just the bills. There has to be a way around the truancy violations.
Since you are waiting for someone to give you permission to dropout then here it is:

Sure, leave school, go get that six-figure income working at the fry machine, help momma with the bills and the extras and enjoy life. After all, why should you be bored with an education when you can make such a great living now.

You have my permission to totally screw up your life. Please enjoy.

J

Japanshe

That is not ****in fair for you to say that **** to me. You do not know me and you are supposed to be helping not insulting. Just because one drops out of school does not mean that they will not be successful. I just want to know if it is legal to leave school for good at the age of 16.

BelizeBreeze

Japanshe said:
That is not ****in fair for you to say that **** to me. You do not know me and you are supposed to be helping not insulting. Just because one drops out of school does not mean that they will not be successful. I just want to know if it is legal to leave school for good at the age of 16.
Potty mouth little twit. You really expect some responsible person to help you screw up your life? If you are so adamant about your ability to take control of your own life, the ability to discern the legalities of contracts, employment rights and tax codes, then by all means exercise that intelligence by plunking down $200 on an attorney's desk and ask this question.

After all, you're too smart to go to school so this should be child's play for you.

J

Japanshe

My brother dropped out of school his senior year...he has been working at wal mart making decent money for over 6 months and has had no legal problems to speak of...no truancy or any other stuff. I never once asked a responsible person to help mess up my life. I simply asked one question and have not gotten a legitiment answer. Can I legally leave school for good at the age of 16?????????

CdwJava

Japanshe said:
Sorry - doesn't work that way. You are required by law to be in school. If you "fail" out than you will simply be placed into another educational plan. And, if your parents support this action they can always be charged with anything from child neglect to permitting your truancy.

Your plan is only going to land you in foster care or juvenile hall.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">