• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to claim a child custody?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Satycorn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Hi!
I made a thread about coming to the US to finish High School there and I got advised that the person that I'm going to live with (not my parents, my uncle), should claim custody of mine which will gain me free cost of tuition.
To the ones that haven't read the thread: I'm 17, I have completed two years of High School and I plan on going to the US to finish it, and from there I want to also go to college. I was told that I can't apply for a F-1 student visa because if I want to go there now I will have to stay for more than 1 year in order for me to complete high school and student visas don't allow foreigners to stay in the US for more than 12 months. So my uncle who will accommodate me and pay for food, etc. needs to claim custody of mine.

What I wanted to know is:

1) Where can he "apply" for this claim of custody?

2) How long will this process take? I need to know because I don't have much time left, school ends in a couple of months and starts again in September so I don't want to loose the year.

3) Will this make him pay extra taxes, or is it guaranteed to be approved? My parents and him are both 100% set and determined about doing this, but I feel like I'm already asking him a lot and I don't know if this process will cost him a lot of money.

4) Last, does any of you know what will happen with my visa status after one year? I'm 17 now, but after going there and completing 1 year of HS, I will have one year left but I'll be 18. Is that time to apply for a F-1 visa?

I'd really appreciate any reply, I thought I'd ask here people who are more experienced with specific laws in the specific state so that I can directly advise him what do to and how to apply. I really hope there is still time...

Thank you very much.

LdiJ

Hi!
I made a thread about coming to the US to finish High School there and I got advised that the person that I'm going to live with (not my parents, my uncle), should claim custody of mine which will gain me free cost of tuition.
To the ones that haven't read the thread: I'm 17, I have completed two years of High School and I plan on going to the US to finish it, and from there I want to also go to college. I was told that I can't apply for a F-1 student visa because if I want to go there now I will have to stay for more than 1 year in order for me to complete high school and student visas don't allow foreigners to stay in the US for more than 12 months. So my uncle who will accommodate me and pay for food, etc. needs to claim custody of mine.

2) How long will this process take? I need to know because I don't have much time left, school ends in a couple of months and starts again in September so I don't want to loose the year.

3) Will this make him pay extra taxes, or is it guaranteed to be approved? My parents and him are both 100% set and determined about doing this, but I feel like I'm already asking him a lot and I don't know if this process will cost him a lot of money.

4) Last, does any of you know what will happen with my visa status after one year? I'm 17 now, but after going there and completing 1 year of HS, I will have one year left but I'll be 18. Is that time to apply for a F-1 visa?

I'd really appreciate any reply, I thought I'd ask here people who are more experienced with specific laws in the specific state so that I can directly advise him what do to and how to apply. I really hope there is still time...

Thank you very much.
I am sorry but the person who told you that your Uncle could claim custody of you in order to for you to get free tuition was somewhat mistaken, as others on your thread attempted to explain to you.

You can enter the US on a student visa for high school, and pay tuition to attend high school. For you to enter the US under the custody of your Uncle would be much, much more complicated. You would be entering in that case as a resident and would require a completely different type of visa. Please stop listening to people on internet message forums and speak to someone at the US embassy in your country regarding these matters.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I am sorry but the person who told you that your Uncle could claim custody of you in order to for you to get free tuition was somewhat mistaken, as others on your thread attempted to explain to you.

You can enter the US on a student visa for high school, and pay tuition to attend high school. For you to enter the US under the custody of your Uncle would be much, much more complicated. You would be entering in that case as a resident and would require a completely different type of visa. Please stop listening to people on internet message forums and speak to someone at the US embassy in your country regarding these matters.
I am the one who told her that and I was not mistaken. Her uncle can get custody of her. The custody would happen in her country of origin. Can you back UP ANYTHING you say, EVER?

Last edited:

Satycorn

Guys please, I respect everyone's opinion and advice but there is no need to fight...
The forum is called freeadvice, if you suggest people to seek help to somebody in real life, why is this forum even up and running then?

My main concern is whether I, as an INTERNATIONAL student, CAN or CANNOT attend high school, even if I pay, I have found private schools that charge tuition for only $800-1000/ year, but there is NO information on their website about international students, and many of them don't even have any e-mail address on their site so that I can contact them, that's why I wanted help, I can't just show up to the school and ask if I'm eligible to enroll or not...

LdiJ

I am the one who told her that and I was not mistaken. Her uncle can get custody of her. The custody would happen in her country of origin. Can you back UP ANYTHING you say, EVER?
OG, she would not be able to enter the US on a student visa in that case...you are not an immigration attorney. Neither am I but I AM familiar with students who have entered the US to attend high school. I am also familiar with children who have entered the US in the custody of an aunt or uncle who was a US citizen, and the parents of the child had died and the US relatives took custody. That is a much more complicated procedure than entering on a student visa. Since the OP's parents are NOT deceased, there is no guarantee that the OP could even get the type of visa required.

How about you stop giving advice in an area that is way outside of your expertise and send the OP to talk to the people at the US Embassy, who ARE the experts. The alternative would be to consult with a US immigration attorney.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
OG, she would not be able to enter the US on a student visa in that case...you are not an immigration attorney. Neither am I but I AM familiar with students who have entered the US to attend high school. I am also familiar with children who have entered the US in the custody of an aunt or uncle who was a US citizen, and the parents of the child had died and the US relatives took custody. That is a much more complicated procedure than entering on a student visa. Since the OP's parents are NOT deceased, there is no guarantee that the OP could even get the type of visa required.

How about you stop giving advice in an area that is way outside of your expertise and send the OP to talk to the people at the US Embassy, who ARE the experts. The alternative would be to consult with a US immigration attorney.
I won't give immigration advice if you listen to yourself and quit giving advice in family law completely. If you never post in the family law forums again, I won't post in immigration law. I never said she could attend on a student visa in that case. NEVER.
BTW, that may not be my area of expertise but LD, you have no legal experience. You are a tax professional. NOT an attorney. Try sticking to your area of expertise -- the tax forums only. Okay? Oh yeah, you won't do that because you know everything -- after all, your goldfish, or your neighbor's cousin's sister's ex-husband went through it. Got it. Must be nice living in your own delusional world. We got a deal? You stay out of the law forums and I won't post in immigration. OH and by the way, not one thing I posted was incorrect. Read it all again and try to comprehend.

Last edited:

LdiJ

I won't give immigration advice if you listen to yourself and quit giving advice in family law completely. If you never post in the family law forums again, I won't post in immigration law. I never said she could attend on a student visa in that case. NEVER.
BTW, that may not be my area of expertise but LD, you have no legal experience. You are a tax professional. NOT an attorney. Try sticking to your area of expertise -- the tax forums only. Okay? Oh yeah, you won't do that because you know everything -- after all, your goldfish, or your neighbor's cousin's sister's ex-husband went through it. Got it. Must be nice living in your own delusional world. We got a deal? You stay out of the law forums and I won't post in immigration. OH and by the way, not one thing I posted was incorrect. Read it all again and try to comprehend.
Being a big baby...

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Being a big baby...
Really? You were the one making the rules. Read what you wrote. Let me quote it for you:
How about you stop giving advice in an area that is way outside of your expertise
How about you stop giving advice in an area that is way outside of your expertise

I am agreeing to not do that if you will. So will you stop posting in the law forums since you are not an attorney at all and just a tax professional? After all you don't know much about the law. You don't back up what you say. You don't post statutes. You don't post caselaw. You don't post rules. You post what your neighbor's goldish went through.

So I ask you the same question:

Don't post except in the tax forums. Okay? Good.

Satycorn

Guys please, please stop... I respect a lot both opinions but let's not get this thread closed too...

Ok so forget about the custody okay? I didn't want to create this...
Going back to attending private schools. I got a reply today again from a private school saying that I don't need to worry about the online courses and that those will be taken care of when I am enrolled in the school. IF the school accepts me, do I get any documentation to show the authorities here so that they can issue me a student visa? Yes, a student visa, probably I can go there and do the last year only, the 12th grade...

Thanks again and sorry for all this.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Guys please, please stop... I respect a lot both opinions but let's not get this thread closed too...

Ok so forget about the custody okay? I didn't want to create this...
Going back to attending private schools. I got a reply today again from a private school saying that I don't need to worry about the online courses and that those will be taken care of when I am enrolled in the school. IF the school accepts me, do I get any documentation to show the authorities here so that they can issue me a student visa? Yes, a student visa, probably I can go there and do the last year only, the 12th grade...

Thanks again and sorry for all this.
My apologies Satycorn. I am an attorney in Ohio however. If you only need one year, the student visa may be the way to go but you will have to pay the cost of public or private school. My misunderstanding was thinking you needed two years. If your uncle wanted to get custody of you, he would need to do it in your country by that country's laws. That would require you getting a different kind of visa. However, with custody you would not have to pay for private or public school. It may or may not be easier for you to get that kind of visa than an F-1. However, it will most likely cost you approximately 10k for one year of school in Ohio.

All of what I posted is correct. You need to do a lot of investigation and determine what is the best route for you to take.

Satycorn

Thanks, you didn't do anything wrong no need for apologies.
I needed two years, but my country's education system differs from the US' and so I think I need one (I will finish 11th grade this year, then 12th will be the last. 12th grade is the last one in high schools in the US too, isn't it?)

And again I don't know how long this custody process will take and if it'll interfere with my college years after I turn 18 so I need to ask sb at the embassy I guess, despite such institutes are ruined here and many, many people like me are turned down when they ask for advice, that's why I was hoping something could be done in Ohio by my uncle.

Most catholic schools's I've found (and even normal private ones) charge about $4-5k, so that's all I'm going to spend, my uncle will take care of the food and whatnot. Unless private schools charge double the tuition for international students..

Another thing I wanted to ask, are teenagers my age allowed to work part time? I know they are when in university, up to 20hrs/week, but what about high school seniors?

Thank you.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Thanks, you didn't do anything wrong no need for apologies.
I needed two years, but my country's education system differs from the US' and so I think I need one (I will finish 11th grade this year, then 12th will be the last. 12th grade is the last one in high schools in the US too, isn't it?)

And again I don't know how long this custody process will take and if it'll interfere with my college years after I turn 18 so I need to ask sb at the embassy I guess, despite such institutes are ruined here and many, many people like me are turned down when they ask for advice, that's why I was hoping something could be done in Ohio by my uncle.

Most catholic schools's I've found (and even normal private ones) charge about $4-5k, so that's all I'm going to spend, my uncle will take care of the food and whatnot. Unless private schools charge double the tuition for international students..

Another thing I wanted to ask, are teenagers my age allowed to work part time? I know they are when in university, up to 20hrs/week, but what about high school seniors?

Thank you.
I do not know if your visa will allow you to work. You would need a visa that permits employment -- even part time. Normally teens can work in Ohio but you might not be able to do so.

Indiana Filer

You need to realize that, until your current HS transcript is analyzed and compared to the graduation requirements of Ohio, you don't know how many more credits you will need to graduate nor how long until you can graduate.

You will be required to have X# of credits in Language Arts, X # of math credits, X# of social studies credits, X# of science credits, X#of PE credits, etc, whatever the requirements are for OH. If you don't have the required number of credits in each area, then you won't graduate. It will not matter that you've completed three years of HS in your country, then one year in the US if you do not meet the graduation requirements. I've seen students attend HS for four years and not graduate on time because of not meeting graduation requirements. You will also have to pass certain tests to get a diploma in Ohio

http://www.ode.state.oh.us/GD/DocumentManagement/DocumentDownload.aspx?DocumentID=98025

dave33

Hi!

Thank you very much.
You can go to the local public school and attempt to enroll. Whatever information you need I am sure will be provided by that school ar at least pointed in the right direction. Who knows, you might just get lucky. Stranger things have happened. goodluck.

Silverplum

You can go to the local public school and attempt to enroll. Whatever information you need I am sure will be provided by that school ar at least pointed in the right direction. Who knows, you might just get lucky. Stranger things have happened. goodluck.
OP lives in a Faraway Foreign Land.

I vote OP requests the Uncle to go to the school/s and get info first-hand.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">