• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I prove I didn't commit the two felonies charged against me??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

The_FUZZ_won

What is the name of your state?
California

I have been charged under Juvenile Wardship Petition (Welfare and Institutions code, 600 et seq.) #602- Violation(s) *vc10851(a), pc496(a)

I have been accused of -UNLAWFUL DRIVING OR TAKING OF A VEHICLE, in violation of Vehicle Code Section 10851(A), a FELONY.
And- RECEIVING STOLEN POPERTY, in violation of Penal Code section 496(A), a FELONY.

I really don't quite understand these charges against me. I think that they may contradict each other. I did not help steal this car, or when I got in the passenger seat, know it was stolen. I was told it was borrowed. The driver, who stole the car and later crashed, has yet to be charged. I don't know how to prove my innocence. My statement was taken without the cops reading or reviewing of my rights-does this affect anything?? I need help fast, my first court date is March 2. Any help is great.

Last edited:

CdwJava

First off, you need an attorney. Second, if you were a passenger and they charged you with auto theft, then I'm gonna guess they have something to tie you in to the crime other than your being in the passenger seat.

Miranda rights only apply when you are arrested. If you were not arrested, the cops can interview you without reading you your rights.

And, you do not have to "prove" your innocence - the state has to prove your guilt. So your burden is much less than you think.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">