• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how to get a citation off my record?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kroe

I am from Illinois and I was visiting Iowa City for the weekend and I got a citation for $465 for being in the bars under 21 after 10 pm because I did not know that was a rule. I really would like this citation off my record for the sake of jobs and internships. Additionally, it is very expensive. how, if anything, can I get this off my record?

westside

I am from Illinois and I was visiting Iowa City for the weekend and I got a citation for $465 for being in the bars under 21 after 10 pm because I did not know that was a rule. I really would like this citation off my record for the sake of jobs and internships. Additionally, it is very expensive. how, if anything, can I get this off my record?
The way to possibly accomplish it will be really expensive. Hire a lawyer in Iowa City.

quincy

The Iowa City "only 21" ordinance should have been posted conspicuously on the doors to the bar or in the bar.

Here is a link to the Iowa City Code (on the left, click on Title 4, then Chapter 5, then 4-5-8) to see the penalties and the exceptions:

http://www.sterlingcodifiers.com/codebook/index.php?book_id=953

Because a first offense violation is a simple misdemeanor, I recommend you consult with an attorney in Iowa City to see what you can do about getting the misdemeanor reduced or dismissed. You can scroll through the list of "exceptions" to see if any of these could apply and used to support a dismissal. Iowa also offers diversion programs for first offenders but the fact that you live in Illinois could complicate matters.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">