• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long do charges take

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thecody

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ny
Please don't just be like 'he's back', I feel crap.

I got in this fight with this kid, at school - which I didn't start, and I'm the one with the black eye because the freak punched me in the eye. So the school cop talked to me and I answered some of his questions, I said yeah I punched the kid back. The other kid said I started it but other people saw him starting it so I don't think that matters? They let me go home but I have to wait to see if the school cop does anything.
How long can they take to decide and how do I know if their doing something? Do they send you something? Or just get you, or what?

CdwJava

They could do most anything. However, if this is a misdemeanor or something less under your state law, then they would need a warrant or a court order of some kind to arrest you. If you are still on probation, this could violate you ... but, i think you said you just cleared probation, so that shouldn't be a problem.

It could take days, weeks, or even many months for charges to be filed. I doubt it would take more than a few weeks if they intend to pursue it, but, you don't know. I suppose you can always ask the school officer whether or not charges are pending.

sandyclaus

Generally speaking, they can wait until just before the expiration for the statute of limitations on the specific charges expire before deciding whether or not to charge you. That can be a year or more depending on the actual crime with which you're being charged.

thecody

Ok, man a year, even a few weeks is too long. I don't even know what the crime would be. How bad can it be for punching someone who was punching you first? He hardly even got hurt.
No, I'm not on probation. I don't wanna be back on it.
I can't ask school cop right now, I don't even know what will happen wth school yet. Might be screwed.

CdwJava

Sounds like a case of simple battery. No one can say what will or will not happen, so you may simply have to wait.

CdwJava

what's the difference between battery and assault?
Typically, battery is when you actually strike someone and assault is the ATTEMPT to strike someone. But, some of the unofficial titles of code sections in some states use these terms interchangeably.

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ny
Please don't just be like 'he's back', I feel crap.

I got in this fight with this kid, at school - which I didn't start, and I'm the one with the black eye because the freak punched me in the eye. So the school cop talked to me and I answered some of his questions, I said yeah I punched the kid back. The other kid said I started it but other people saw him starting it so I don't think that matters? They let me go home but I have to wait to see if the school cop does anything.
How long can they take to decide and how do I know if their doing something? Do they send you something? Or just get you, or what?
Cody, did you have someone photograph your injuries and document them? If not, do so ASAP.

And, Cody, I see a lot of folks here still have faith in you and want you to stay on The Good Path. :) We're here to help, but you are the one in control of your behavior at all times.

OHRoadwarrior

Cody, if this goes any farther, such as expulsion or putting something in writing or giving another statement, politely advise them you were told to exercise your right to remain silent and only discuss this issue with a guardian present.

thecody

Yeah fosterpops has taken photos of my eye. ANd they put ice on it at school too so they know.
I got a hearing tmrw at school, they'll probably ask me lots of questions - I shouldn't talk about it all? 1 or both fosters will be there. Isn't it better to talk - if I don't I think they might put me to the next level of hearing and I already got in trouble for sort of fighting there once. But this time I wasn't even trying to fight with someone.
I'm trying to be better.

OHRoadwarrior

It is better if you allow fosterpops to speak and present your side usually. You want to be polite, so pops should be the heavy and say he instructed you not to provide additional testimony. If he can't handle that, try to stick to what you already testified to and do not actively provide information. You can be expelled or charged criminally by the SRO based on your statements. If they go to expel you, plead for a temporary suspension and the expulsion to be held in abeyance, based on your staying out of trouble, completing your assignments and keeping your grades up. Ask for a staff mentor to be appointed for you to resolve any issues that appear while you are on "probation".

thecody

ok, thanks. I'll see what fosters say about that. I think I said a lot already, since I was like, he started it anyway. The school got mad the last time so yeah, I dunno. I don't want to change schools again,

thecody

I found out that the other guy got charged already for disorderly conduct. Is it a good sign that he has already but I haven't yet or a bad sign that they did charge him? The only thing the school would say was that there was a referral. But also the other kid got arrested on the day (because he punches people in the eye only when he has weed in his pocket, lol) so does it mean nothing that he already got charged with dc and do I still just have to wait?
I can go back to school on Friday on behavior contract for the whole dam year. I didn't add any more statements and they were ok with that.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I found out that the other guy got charged already for disorderly conduct. Is it a good sign that he has already but I haven't yet or a bad sign that they did charge him? The only thing the school would say was that there was a referral. But also the other kid got arrested on the day (because he punches people in the eye only when he has weed in his pocket, lol) so does it mean nothing that he already got charged with dc and do I still just have to wait?
I can go back to school on Friday on behavior contract for the whole dam year. I didn't add any more statements and they were ok with that.
So you got three days and a come back and behave. Do so. Stay out of trouble. :cool:

thecody

So you got three days and a come back and behave. Do so. Stay out of trouble. :cool:
Nah 5 days. yeah yeah I will. Fosterpops was like you know most people don't get chased by truancy officers and have people start punching them. I know I do stuff tht doesn't help. I'm workin on it

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">