• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long to file charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stevie

What is the name of your state? Michigan
My son was suspended from school for a fight with a girl (7th grade).
A teacher said it appears what she said happened but he only saw it from behind.
The girls parents considered filing assault charges but the principle talked them out of it.

Is there a period of time within which they can still file charges?

To my knowlege the police were not contacted and it is his word against hers and the teacher.
My son also does martial arts but didn't use them, he says he never struck her. We don't want it to get out that he knows martial arts if there is still a chance they can bring charges.
Thanks
StevieWhat is the name of your state?

Last edited:

M

mammothcave

stevie said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan
My son was suspended from school for a fight with a girl (7th grade).
A teacher said it appears what she said happened but he only saw it from behind.
The girls parents considered filing assault charges but the principle talked them out of it.

Is there a period of time within which they can still file charges?

To my knowlege the police were not contacted and it is his word against hers and the teacher.
My son also does martial arts but didn't use them, he says he never struck her. We don't want it to get out that he knows martial arts if there is still a chance they can bring charges.
Thanks
StevieWhat is the name of your state?
kentucky>did your son hit her?and what or who started the fight? there are some girls that are bullies and you have to defend yourself if thats the case.

stevie

michigan
It's all he said/she said.
He says he did push her and then she attacked him. He held out his hand to stop her, she ducked, kept coming and he ended up with her in a head lock. She then collapsed and he ended up on one knee. He then said he slapped away her attempts to punch him.
Her story is he attacked her and took her down and punched her in the stomach.
All the teacher saw is my son in a "better" position and then saw his elbow rise three times. So what he saw "looked like what she said" from behind.
Yes, according to my son she is a bully and tomboy. She and her freinds had repeatedly told him they would "kick his ass".
But since she is a girl and nobody has so far reported her behavior (think they're afraid?) the school was not inclined to believe his story. Since the teacher "coroborated" the girls story the decided they didn't need to get any other witness accounts.
My main issue is not that he got blamed or suspended. He did do the initial pushing.
I just want to know how long we have to hang on pins and needles to see if they will decide to file charges after the fact.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">