• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How much authority does my local public school district have at the school bus stop?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

windwood

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois
My son is 6 and is homeschooled as he has special needs the school is unwilling to address. He loves to play with his Nerf guns. He has started to run out to the bus stop, which is right across the street from out back door, to meet his brother and sister. He often takes his Nerf gun, without darts, to meet his brother, and pretends to fire at him, when he gets off the bus. It's all in fun. However, we have a nasty history with the bus driver who seems to look for any reason to write my kids up. She has reported my son playing with his Nerf gun at the bus stop, and they have called to ask me to have him stop. How far do my son's rights extend and how much authority do they have at this bus stop? This is in Illinois.

Antigone*

My son is 6 and is homeschooled as he has special needs the school is unwilling to address. He loves to play with his Nerf guns. He has started to run out to the bus stop, which is right across the street from out back door, to meet his brother and sister. He often takes his Nerf gun, without darts, to meet his brother, and pretends to fire at him, when he gets off the bus. It's all in fun. However, we have a nasty history with the bus driver who seems to look for any reason to write my kids up. She has reported my son playing with his Nerf gun at the bus stop, and they have called to ask me to have him stop. How far do my son's rights extend and how much authority do they have at this bus stop? This is in Illinois.
Really:eek::eek::eek: Lady, if you feel that strongly about it, tell them to pound sand and take whatever comes your way. Or you can behave like a big girl and tell little one to leave the toy inside and they can play after he gets home.

cyjeff

On the plus side, if this is the biggest problem you have to deal with you are truly leading a charmed life.

Schools are passionate about guns. Tell your son to leave it at home.

mistoffolees

On the plus side, if this is the biggest problem you have to deal with you are truly leading a charmed life.

It's not really relevant, but I wonder what the 'special needs the school is unwilling to address' would be. :rolleyes:

Mass_Shyster

I don't think the school can tell your son to stop playing with his toy, but the bus driver would probably be within his rights to refuse to allow your son and daughter to ride the bus, as this causes issues when he drops them off. Or the driver could determine there is a safety issue at the stop, and return your son and daughter to the school.

The Occultist

windwood, regardless of what is "right or wrong" here, I believe [warning! warning! NOT legal advice!] the appropriate, and mature, thing to do here is conform to the not-so-tall order the district has humbly requested of you. The path of least resistance is called such for a reason; do you really wish to get involved in a potential lawsuit that could cost way too much money to defend (you'll still pay too much money even if you win) instead of just asking your special-needs child to hide in the kitchen with his gun until the brother comes home?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I'd bet there are parents who've complained. More likely than not, your son doesn't just stand there quietly, waiting for the bus to arrive and his brother to disembark.

csi7

A bus stop is exactly that.
A place for the bus to stop to let people on or off.
The bus driver has the responsibility to ensure all the riders feel safe while they are being driven, dropped off, or picked up to and from school.
Keep the son in the house during both drop-off and pick-up times. It is safer for him, and his siblings.

zjb1988

I don't think they can MAKE you keep your son at home, but as long as they asked politely rather than demanded, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't honor the request. It makes the bus driver's job easier, and it really isn't that much to ask that your son leaves the nerf gun at home when meeting his brother.

Coming from Illinois as well, I know first hand that school employees like to be in EVERYONE'S business, but thats what you get here. Neither you or your son are going to experience an appreciable dent to your freedoms or quality of life by refraining from nerf gun ambushes. It would be easier on everybody involved, including both of your sons, if you would just let this one go.

Now, if they told you that your son can't wait for his brother at the bus stop PERIOD, then I would tell you to raise hell. But save it for something that matters, sister.

Dillon

to bad theyre not passionate about education.

its not a gun, as you know, its a toy! toy guns are not evil?

Last edited:

mistoffolees

to bad theyre not passionate about education.

its not a gun, as you know, its a toy! toy guns are not evil?
No, they're not.

But the average school district has to deal with crime, threats, bullying, and other bad behavior that wasn't likely in school even a decade or two ago. There have been too many instances where a toy gun was mistaken for a real gun for most schools to take chances.

Since my daughter attends school, I'm perfectly happy with the school having a 'no weapons of any kind OR anything that looks like a weapon'.

The worst case with that policy is poor OP has to find another toy for her kid to play with at the bus stop. The worst case if the school errs in the other direction is dead kids.

I know which one I'd choose.

USAviator

Many , NO ... Most schools these days have a ' No Tolerance ' policy when it comes to bringing , using or doing certain things at school. I'm sure you've heard of the cases where students have been suspended or expelled for bringing personal items ( such as a fork for use at lunch ) , the five year old who was suspended for hugging a classmate . . .

There was even a recent case here in Ohio where a first grader was expelled for drawing a picture of a pistol in art class . Obviously , these school districts take the rules far too seriously , but lets face it , rules are rules.

Maybe the best thing to do would be to let ' junior ' hide out in the kitchen or living room , and attack his siblings after they enter the house .

Kiawah

Allowing anyone to shoot, pretend to shoot, or play shoot..... kids getting off a school bus, is pretty dumb.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">