• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How much trouble am I actually in? Please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ryanbaker1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Grand Haven, Michigan.
I am 18 years old and have never been in trouble with the law before. I am going to be a senior and i am a A and B student. I had a big party last week about 100 plus people. 12 cop cars showed up at about 3 but i was already sleeping, but not everyone else. So everyone hid or either ran into the woods. They left me 3 voice mails saying if i come out all i will get is an mip but if i don't come, i will get a $1500 fine and 30 days in jail. They could see alcohol in the yard and some evidence of drugs outside as well. I woke up the next mourning to 3 new voice mails. I went and talked to the cop 2 days later and he thought everything i said was a lie and i am going to get the $1500 dollar fine. I didn't get my court papers in the mail yet and i talked to him a week ago. I just wanted to know what are my chances of getting the full charge and if i will get jail time. I am really stressed out over this because my employer is already going to pay for my college after i graduate and i cant afford a huge fine like that. If you could please give me some advice or your opinion on what they might do. I also live in grand haven Michigan and the party happened out in the country. Thank you, Ryan

LdiJ

I am 18 years old and have never been in trouble with the law before. I am going to be a senior and i am a A and B student. I had a big party last week about 100 plus people. 12 cop cars showed up at about 3 but i was already sleeping, but not everyone else. So everyone hid or either ran into the woods. They left me 3 voice mails saying if i come out all i will get is an mip but if i don't come, i will get a $1500 fine and 30 days in jail. They could see alcohol in the yard and some evidence of drugs outside as well. I woke up the next mourning to 3 new voice mails. I went and talked to the cop 2 days later and he thought everything i said was a lie and i am going to get the $1500 dollar fine. I didn't get my court papers in the mail yet and i talked to him a week ago. I just wanted to know what are my chances of getting the full charge and if i will get jail time. I am really stressed out over this because my employer is already going to pay for my college after i graduate and i cant afford a huge fine like that. If you could please give me some advice or your opinion on what they might do. I also live in grand haven Michigan and the party happened out in the country. Thank you, Ryan
Here is my advise. Tell your parents what is going on NOW. Then sit back and wait and see if you are charged with anything. If you are, then hire an attorney to defend you. Do not talk to the police any more without an attorney present.

ryanbaker1

Here is my advise. Tell your parents what is going on NOW. Then sit back and wait and see if you are charged with anything. If you are, then hire an attorney to defend you. Do not talk to the police any more without an attorney present.
The police came to my house monday and told my parents, they were not aware of the full situation. I had to talk to the cop monday night or he was going to put a warrant out for my arrest at midnight. I told him what exactly happened and he doesnt belive my story. Should i not stress out till i gget my court papers or what?

sandyclaus

You were underage, and had a party at your home where minors were allowed/encouraged to drink and take illegal drugs.

You will be lucky if you ONLY get an MIP charge. You could also be looking at a furnishing alcohol to minors charge, which carries a possible penalty of a $1,000 fine and up to 60 days in jail for a first time conviction. As for the MIP, consequences include a misdemeanor criminal offense on record, punishable by up to 93 days in jail and/or a $500.00 fine. Michigan Secretary of State also imposes licensing sanctions on drivers convicted of a Minor in Possession. MIP conviction will be permanently displayed on public record and can impact eligibility for student loans, housing, employment, insurance rates, etc.

Although you will need to tell your parents, they won't be able to help you out of this one. You became subject to prosecution as an adult the moment you turned 18. You also need to consider that once your employer learns of these charges, you may end up losing your financial support for college - and with an MIP on your record, student loans will no longer be an option for you.

You need an attorney - NOW.

NellieBly

Like everyone said, get a lawyer. Keep in mind that you could be charged with numerous counts of whatever crimes were committed.

100 minors = 100 counts of furnishing to a minor.

HuAi

Do not talk to the police any more without an attorney present.
The police came to my house monday and told my parents, they were not aware of the full situation. I had to talk to the cop monday night or he was going to put a warrant out for my arrest at midnight. I told him what exactly happened
Listen to the above advice and shut your yap.

LeeHarveyBlotto

Show this to your parents. Cooperating with the police will not help your cause. Stop doing it. Get a lawyer. Say nothing to anyone except your lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">