• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How serious is 3rd degree arson and assault for a 15 year old?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mattnj

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

My son was playing with a lighter in school and singed a girl's hair. It was only slight, but it still could have been very damaging to the girl. It wasn't intentional
and he was playing around with the lighter in school. They got it on video and showed it to us. The police officer had told us he was going to push for Junior Conference Committee for him, but told us we wouldn't know until we got the complaint in the mail.

Well, we just it in the mail today and it says to appear in the county court for a 3rd degree arson and assault charge. Any advice? what kind of penalty does this carry? Is there a possibility of him going to juvenile detention? They officer said that he thought the JCC was the best thing for him, but I think that's out of the question if we have to go to court. We want him to have some kind of intervention, how can we go about speaking to the prosecutor to find out about this? Does all this have to go through a lawyer now?

I'd appreciate any advice that could be given. This is his first offense. He's been on a bad path in my book, but hasn't gotten into any trouble before deserving juvenile detention. He definitely has some issues that could be helped with intervention. We've had him in therapy now for 6 months as well on our own.

Last edited:

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

My son was playing with a lighter in school and singed a girl's hair. It was only slight, but it still could have been very damaging to the girl. It wasn't intentional
and he was playing around with the lighter in school. They got it on video and showed it to us. The police officer had told us he was going to push for Junior Conference Committee for him, but told us we wouldn't know until we got the complaint in the mail.

Well, we just it in the mail today and it says to appear in the county court for a 3rd degree arson and assault charge. Any advice? what kind of penalty does this carry? Is there a possibility of him going to juvenile detention? They officer said that he thought the JCC was the best thing for him, but I think that's out of the question if we have to go to court. We want him to have some kind of intervention, how can we go about speaking to the prosecutor to find out about this? Does all this have to go through a lawyer now?

I'd appreciate any advice that could be given.
Please listen to me very carefully:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SPEAK TO THE PROSECUTOR!!!

Please don't speak to anyone other than a defense attorney. Don't allow your son to speak to anyone about this either. Not to his friends, schoolmates, teachers ~ anyone!!!

Get him an attorney.

mattnj

I wasn't going to try to do that. I'm just wondering about using an attorney provided to us.

They have him on video. should we use the attorney provided by the state or go and get our own lawyer? would there be any benefit in it?

mattnj

He is 15 with no priors.

What kind of sentence could this carry? I'm hoping that he gets the counseling intervention that is offered in NJ.

He is 15 with no priors.

What kind of sentence could this carry? I'm hoping that he gets the counseling intervention that is offered in NJ.
Hi,

Get his own attny .. 15 yrs old is too old to be "playing" with a lighter IMO.

It is possible he could be charged as an adult...go see your attny, not a public defender if at all possible ...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">