• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

i am 17 and want to move out in AL..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DutchBoy361

What is the name of your state? AL
I am 17 years old, and i want to move in with older friends that have their own place in a different state,Georgia. My initial plan was to move there enroll in a night school and get a job to help them pay the rent,bills, and all my own expenses. But my guardian won't sign emancipation papers..they wont allow me hardly leave the house,or even get a job...Is there any way i can become emancipated without their consent?Please help, any advice would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

Why won't they let you leave the house or find a job? Have you givin them reasons to not trust you? Have you been in trouble with the law? Are the gardians your parents? There has to be more to this story.Have you had a problem with drugs or alcohol?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Unless you can pay 100% of your expenses - and that includes housing (of your own, not rooming with friends) - a court is unlikely to emancipate you. Finish school where you are - in a year you'll be able to move anywhere you choose.

DutchBoy361

Well, to begin with i've been passed around from home to home since i was like 12...like he was my "father" also....untill he and my mother divorced and i went with her..till her new husband was a complete jerk about anything and everything he could possibly point out.So i had been sent to live with my other grandparents, and there i was allowed out of the house mabye 1 weekend out of the month...and that means be back saturday around lunch time. Other than that one day i was either at school or doing a bunch of work around his farm...so that summer i went to visit my mother, and her husband seemed alot nicer than i remember and offered for me to stay there, and after a while he went back to the exact same way. So i had my mother (who had legal custody at that point in time) sign a Power of Attorney to a friends mother and i stayed there and things went well, i had a job, but i worked 5 days a week and then usually would work on one of my off days. i payed for my first truck by myself..but i ended up not staying the night where i was supposed to be b/c her parents flipped out about nothng, and it was late when i had to leave and i didnt want to wake the woman i was staying with up to unlock the door so iwent to the neighbors house, and she got MAD... and ended up calling my uncle and told him about it, then i was lied to and told my mother said "i either had to go to an AA meeting with him" (he is in AA) or move back in with him, and so i decided to go to this meeting as to not have to move back in with him...Well we got to the meeting place...and they signed my into rehab...and after that and that woman ended up calling one of my co-workers (another good friend) mother and telling her that we was "dope" dealers. So when i found that out i called her and told her i didnt appreciate her spreading rumors about me...she said i didnt have to come home tonite, but my uncle would be picking me up from school the next day and my stuff would already be there...and here i am... a couple of months later not allowed to hardly go anywhere unless its something they want me to do...so all I can do is sit around and play video games.....and when i lived with him before he had me put on probation, for being "ungovernable", basically i always had to stay around the house and clean work on the house siding, work on his car that "he" was building. and yes i did have a drug problem about 1 1/2 years ago(cannibus). But now he dosnt have the same house, he lives with his mother and its basically the same as it used to be i clean allthe time and do what im told ....

Thanks again for all the help.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">