• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I am 20 and she is 17, but her parents are cops

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Osufn859

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
As stated in the title, I am 20 and have recently started talking go a girl who is 17. Though i turn 21 the week before she turns 18. I am wanting to know in advance, if it would be illegal to date her. I would also appreciate knowing in general what i am allowed to do with her until she turns 18. I cant think of the term but i believe that without parental consent there can be no sexual contact. Ao what does sexual contact actually include/limited to as her parents are cops and i dont want to step out of line.

justalayman

Regardless of any actual criminal action that the law addresses for contact with a minor, as long as she is a minor she is under the control of her parents. That means if they say she doesn't see you, she doesn't. Given her parents are cops they surely know the ins and outs of the law enough to be able to make certain you don't see her if they say you don't see her.

I wise man would not try to engage an adversary that has the power to cause some really bad things for you, and all within the law.

LdiJ

Regardless of any actual criminal action that the law addresses for contact with a minor, as long as she is a minor she is under the control of her parents. That means if they say she doesn't see you, she doesn't. Given her parents are cops they surely know the ins and outs of the law enough to be able to make certain you don't see her if they say you don't see her.

I wise man would not try to engage an adversary that has the power to cause some really bad things for you, and all within the law.
In other words, get their permission to date their daughter, and then make sure that you do not do any more than kiss good night.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Here's the thing, dude.... you may find this old fashioned, but... If the two of you spend the time (*just* a year, at most) keeping it to "a bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck" you will find out one of two things.... She's not the one and it's just your mutual hormones speaking OR She's the one and it was worth spending the time getting to know each other and waiting. Win-Win for both of you.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Here's the thing, dude.... you may find this old fashioned, but... If the two of you spend the time (*just* a year, at most) keeping it to "a bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck" you will find out one of two things.... She's not the one and it's just your mutual hormones speaking OR She's the one and it was worth spending the time getting to know each other and waiting. Win-Win for both of you.
This is sage advice - it's unfortunate that, for the entirety of human history, it has been largely ignored by so many (myself included)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">