• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I am a parrent of a convicted 14yr old boy.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ccstovall

What is the name of your state? Texas
My step son was convicted of two accounts of attempting to get money from two different stolen credit cards which were given to him after curfue 2 to 4 am and one account of punching his mom in the face. I know the two credit card offenses are federal and the asault was not but it happened after he was picked up by police for the others and temperlarly released to his mom until the trial. It is imposible for us to keep an eye on him 24/7 because school is out and we both work 8-5 jobs. He is now on 6 months probation with 50 hrs community service and cannot leave our county unless the probation office is notified.
Some of our neighbors have seen him leaving our house after we all have gone to bed but of coarse he denies it and there is no proof. THE QUESTION: As parents can we request that he be put on house arrest (electronicaly monitored) now that the trial has already happened

JETX

ccstovall said:
As parents can we request that he be put on house arrest (electronicaly monitored) now that the trial has already happened
You can request anything you want. It will be up to the court to grant or deny.

rmet4nzkx

Some common sense suggesitons.
Take away his house key and change the locks.
Be sure take all spare keys, be sure the car keys are also not available to him.
Give him a list of chores to do while you are at work.
Get him a babysitter(be sure to use the word, BABYSITTER, who is over 21 years of age, not a 16 yo high school girl, to watch him while you are at work.
Screw his windows shut.
Go to the BABY store and buy baby door alarms, you want to be sure to get ones with recognized brand names not a household alarm. His friends will appreciate the fact that these are BABY alarms. Place an alarm on each outside door. If he leaves the house, lock the door then call the cops and violate him.
Take the door to his room off the hinges so that he has no privacy.
Remove all tellecom divices/ TV/Radio/electronic games/Computers/ DVD/CD/music, consider having a yard sale for these items, he will love that, books of an appropriate nature and writing materials are allowed, but nothing sharp, so pencils and pens are out, he can write with crayons.
Get rid of all junk food, insist that he has 3 meals consisting of healthy food.
Be sure that your neighbors will report him to the police during his probation if they see him violating.

CdwJava

ccstovall said:
My step son was convicted of two accounts of attempting to get money from two different stolen credit cards which were given to him after curfue 2 to 4 am and one account of punching his mom in the face.
He punched mom in the face!?

I have to tell you, that if one of my sons popped his mother (my wife of 15 years), he'd still be spitting up teeth! Minor or not, THAT would not be tolerated!

I know the two credit card offenses are federal and the asault was not
Actually, both are also state offenses. The feds are not likely to pick up a fraud case using credit card transactions unless it is really big. I have rarely seen the feds get involved in matters of less than $20,000+.

THE QUESTION: As parents can we request that he be put on house arrest (electronicaly monitored) now that the trial has already happened
If he puncyhes mom, leaves the house, and generally disrupts your life, why make it easy on him? Maybe a little time in the kiddie slammer will do him good.

Lacking that, I REALLY like rmet's suggestions ... they will make his life unpleasant. And unpleasant and uncomfortable is what you want. Let him EARN priveleges back by not only behaving as he should, but by doing things that are above and beyond the minimal requirements.

Good luck.

- Carl

S

shell007

rmet4nzkx said:
Be sure take all spare keys, be sure the car keys are also not available to him.
Get him a babysitter(be sure to use the word, BABYSITTER, who is over 21 years of age, not a 16 yo high school girl, to watch him while you are at work.
Screw his windows shut.
Go to the BABY store and buy baby door alarms, you want to be sure to get ones with recognized brand names not a household alarm. His friends will appreciate the fact that these are BABY alarms. Place an alarm on each outside door. If he leaves the house, lock the door then call the cops and violate him.
Remove all tellecom divices/ TV/Radio/electronic games/Computers/ DVD/CD/music, consider having a yard sale for these items, he will love that, books of an appropriate nature and writing materials are allowed, but nothing sharp, so pencils and pens are out, he can write with crayons.
Get rid of all junk food, insist that he has 3 meals consisting of healthy food.
Be sure that your neighbors will report him to the police during his probation if they see him violating.
Awesome advice!! Love it!!!:) :) :)

rmet4nzkx

Thank's Carl and Shelly, it is empowering just to read them isn't it. Actually we had a member who used the baby alarm suggestion some time back, very effective.

ceara19

rmet4nzkx said:
Screw his windows shut.
Plus, if the court won't lo-jack him, do it yourself. You can buy a noticeable locking tracking device or a small one that could be easily concealed. You can monitor where he is and where he HAS been. You can set it up so that if he leaves the immediate area. That way, when you call the police to report the violation, you can tell them exactly where they can pick him up at.

rmet4nzkx said:
Screw his windows shut.
Bravo! Bravo!
This should be a "Standard Reply" and pasted when needed, like Carl's "Tips for Appearing in Court" reply or IAAL's "Dumbest Post of Year" reply.

*Personally use 7 of these in my own home. Great advice.

Last edited:

CdwJava

stmfitr636 said:
Bravo! Bravo!
This should be a "Standard Reply" and pasted when needed, like Carl's "Tips for Appearing in Court" reply or IAAL's "Dumbest Post of Year" reply.

*Personally use 7 of these in my own home. Great advice.
Actually, I can't take credit for the court appearance tips - those belong to Seniorjudge.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">