• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

i was convicted of being a sex offender when i was 11 or 12

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

needshelpasap

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX
when do i have to stop registering as a sex offender, ive joined the military and been to war this all happened when i was very young and i dont know what to do, i have to get my drivers license reinstated and i dont think that i can do that unless i register here where i live now, im not a bad person i was so young i dont really remember what happened is there anything i can do about this

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
When you were convicted how long did the court say you had to register?

justalayman

i have to get my drivers license reinstated and i dont think that i can do that unless i register here where i live now,
does this mean you have not registered as legally required?

No, this doesnt sound right at all. I dont think you would have gotten in.

Go to the county of conviction juvi probation office and ask about your record and seeing your file and your sentencing. You might want to call ahead as old closed things are likely in storage/off site/hard to access.

That will give you your final answer. They might be able to tell you right from computer once you are there (this is confidential stuff so they wont likley talk to you about it on the phone)

CavemanLawyer

Were you adjudicated/convicted of your offense in Texas or elsewhere? If it was in Texas than the length of registration for any juvenile sexual offense is 10 years after the completion of your sentence (get out of TYC or complete probation.) From your post it sounds like you were adjudicated/convicted in another state and have now moved to Texas. If this is the case then, under Texas law, the length of registration is the same as if you were still in the state of adjudication/conviction.

If you have ever registered than it should be trivial to have your questions answered. You would simply ask the officer that works in the agency where you have been registering or you could even look yourself up online on the sex offender database. The database lists the exact date that your duty to register expires.

So have you ever registered? Are you sure you even need to register at all? Many juveniles are granted deferred registration and only need to register if they fail to complete their probation.

If you have previously registered then you were required to give notice to the registering agency of your move. The number of days of that notice depend on what state you moved from. Once in Texas you only have 7 days to register so if you haven't yet then you better hurry or you can be charged with a state jail felony.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">