• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I Desperately need advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosebud69

What is the name of your state? Illinois (pike county)

I am not sure if I am in the right forum, I considered family law also, but settled for here because my case is being heard in juvenile court.

I am married and have 5 children. In March DCFS came to my home because of a complaint that my 3 and 5 year olds were in street. I live in a very small town of about 100 people. The DCFS investigator came in the house, kind of forcefully. My house was a mess because I work nights, and my husband has a hard time keeping up with 5 kids and house. Anyway I voluntarily opened a case. He agreed to keep the children in the home with us. About a week later he returned with a caseworker for us to work with. He told us the house looked much better. He said I had to follow case plan or loose my kids. My septic system was backing up. I explained to him it had been backing up in back yard for many months, and I asked the landlord to fix it several times with no response. Finally it started backing up in the tub. I went to my landlord two more times. The investigator told me I had to leave the house immediately with the children or he would take them due to health risk. He told me I could not come back until he received clearance from the health dept and he contacted me. So I left with children. He never contacted me, so I called him and left messages that he didn't return. So I called health dept and they said it was fine to go home. So I called the investigator and left another message that I received clearance from the health dept and I was going home.

About another week later, the caseworker came over. She complimented the house also. This was a Friday. She said she would return on Tues to do case plan. Well she never showed up, she never called, and never wrote..

Than around the second week of June, the investigator showed up on a Thurs. My husband, myself, and 4 of my 5 children were not home. My brother-in-law was here with my 6 year old. The investigator from DCFS showed up. He walked right in the house without permission and proceeded to search my house, even opened desk drawers. I now know he was there to take my children. He left a message for me to call him, so I did. He told me he would be over and talk to me tomorrow, he never showed. He than came Saturday afternoon at 3:30. He said some more complaints were called in about kids being unsupervised, which is absolutely not true. And some other allegations I won't bother with now.

He took2 of my children to my mothers and 3 to my sisters. I than had the 72 hour hearing on Monday morning. I had no lawyer, and the judge said that was ok we could go on. Well, I felt like I had no choice, how could I speak up? It was hard but I thought at least they were with family.

In the meantime, my mother said she "couldn't handle it" so my sister took all the kids. Now she says she "can't handle it" She has my 11 year old, but the others are all in foster homes, one is even in another state.

My questions. On Monday July 17th I have a status hearing. I don't know what I'm allowed to do. I do have a attorney, but he is always to busy for me. I want some questions answered. I feel like I didn't get to say anything at the 72 hour hearing. Plus I want to know why was DCFS not repremanded for not coming back when I agreed to work with them. If they had none of this would have happened. Also, I thought to take the children you had to have a warrant or feel the children are in imminent danger? How could he say there was imminent danger if he left my daughter here on Thursday, and didn't come back until Saturday? Why was he allowed to search my home when I wasn't there? I want to know if I would be allowed to ask for them to come home and make DCFS follow through with their plan. My children are in bad shape away from home. They were hysterical, and wanted us. And that is when they were with my sister. They have never even been with a babysitter. We were very devoted to them. They were not physically, sexually, or mentally abused in any way. This is going to scar them for life, for a dirty house? This is not punishing me, but them. My daughter is mildyly mentally retarded and she was just starting to open up with her teacher and other children, and was finally progressing, now she'll have to go to a new school. And my 5 year old is starting kindergarten in another state. Can I say anything to get them home Monday. What are the laws?? Maybe request an emergency hearing if I can't do this at a status hearing. The judge even told the guardian at litum he had to visit kids before court monday the 17th, and as of Friday the 14th he hasn't. Someone needs to look out for them. They need to be home. I'll work with DCFS if they come home. I don't care if DCFS comes over every single day three times a day! ( I mentioned the whole thing about the septic in the first paragraph because he used this against me in court. Saying I let the kids play in raw sewage. I never let them near it!!! I bathed them in kitchen sink. Plus when he was at house he said I know it is not your fault, that I had a slumlord, and I need to move. He also said DCFS would help me with deposit and first months rent. But in court, a whole other story!)

Please someone help me, I am desperate and so are my babies.

Last edited:

weenor

Despite the length of your post I feel there is more to the story. Listen to your lawyer and do what you are told. The agency has significant discretion in these matters and will only reunite the family once you have fully completed the case plan. This will take time.

rosebud69

This is the problem, nobody wants to believe CPS does wrong. There is no more to the story. I told everything step for step, than you knock me for the length of the post? I was telling all, so I could get advice and leave nothing out. I have had many rights violated. And so have my children. Anyone ever hear of civil rights? I would be glad to do what they say if they would just do something. They've been going to do a case plan since March. Thanks for not understanding.

fairisfair

rosebud69 said:
This is the problem, nobody wants to believe CPS does wrong. There is no more to the story. I told everything step for step, than you knock me for the length of the post? I was telling all, so I could get advice and leave nothing out. I have had many rights violated. And so have my children. Anyone ever hear of civil rights? I would be glad to do what they say if they would just do something. They've been going to do a case plan since March. Thanks for not understanding.
You come here looking for advice and when someone tries to assist you this is how you react?? And, you expect us to believe that you have been nothing but cooperative with CPS??? By the way, just so you know, you had a great chance to get assistance from someone with a good deal of knowledge, and I can pretty much guess that you just blew it.:rolleyes:

S

shell007

I feel like I didn't get to say anything at the 72 hour hearing.
Maybe you should have had an attorney present.

Plus I want to know why was DCFS not repremanded for not coming back when I agreed to work with them. If they had none of this would have happened.
Why because you cleaned your house and made it look pretty and now your mad that they never showed, and when they did show...YOUR HOUSE WAS FILTHY AGAIN!?!? :rolleyes:

Also, I thought to take the children you had to have a warrant or feel the children are in imminent danger? How could he say there was imminent danger if he left my daughter here on Thursday, and didn't come back until Saturday?
Arrangements have to be made...they were...then they were taken away!

Why was he allowed to search my home when I wasn't there? I want to know if I would be allowed to ask for them to come home and make DCFS follow through with their plan.
It's seems that they are following through with their plan. You were given a warning and did not comply to fix the issues.

My children are in bad shape away from home.
And who's fault is that???

They were hysterical, and wanted us.
Of course they do/did. They don't understand.

And that is when they were with my sister.
That's because sister isn't MOM.

They have never even been with a babysitter. We were very devoted to them. They were not physically, sexually, or mentally abused in any way. This is going to scar them for life, for a dirty house?
I'll bet you feel like cleaning NOW!!!

This is not punishing me, but them.
What....You don't feel any emotion with your children gone. Nice!!! :rolleyes:

My daughter is mildyly mentally retarded and she was just starting to open up with her teacher and other children, and was finally progressing, now she'll have to go to a new school.
Again...who's fault is that??? The preferable term would be mentally handicapped NOT RETARDED.

And my 5 year old is starting kindergarten in another state.
I hope he/she likes her new school.

Can I say anything to get them home Monday. What are the laws?? Maybe request an emergency hearing if I can't do this at a status hearing. The judge even told the guardian at litum he had to visit kids before court monday the 17th, and as of Friday the 14th he hasn't.
I have no idea.

Someone needs to look out for them. They need to be home.
Someone is looking out for them...however IT'S NOT/WASN'T YOU.

I'll work with DCFS if they come home. I don't care if DCFS comes over every single day three times a day!
Too little too late. You should have had that attitude BEFORE your children got taken away.

( I mentioned the whole thing about the septic in the first paragraph because he used this against me in court. Saying I let the kids play in raw sewage. I never let them near it!!!
So...the kids never went into the bathroom????

I bathed them in kitchen sink.
Even the 11-year-old???? :eek: :eek: What about you...where did you shower or bathe?

Plus when he was at house he said I know it is not your fault, that I had a slumlord, and I need to move. He also said DCFS would help me with deposit and first months rent. But in court, a whole other story!)
OK then....we don't have to deal with that issue.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

rosebud69

I am sorry I asked for help here. I don't call clothes and toys laying around a health hazard. If that is the case 1/2 this county would have their kids taken from them. Their were kids in the house, their will be some messes.

My 11 year old was staying at my sisters at the time of the septic incident. We had to use the sink, and I was begging my landlord to fix it, but I guess that is my fault too?!

And the arrangements were made, he was there thursday to get them, if he felt there was real danger he would have camped on my door step or at least come back the next day!

I didn't have an attorney because this happened on a saturday and the hearing was monday morning. Not even God can get an attorney hired on a weekend.

And for your information, I do feel emotion. I am a basket case, I can hardly even work at my job. But my emotions don't matter. If you are a parent, you would know the only thing that matters is my children and what they are going through. I would die for them. So go ahead and think I am terrible for my house. I am the only working parent, and I had to work a lot of hours to make ends meet, and than when I was off, I felt it more important to be with my children.

I came here for legal advice, I wish there was a way to post my case file on here to show I am telling everything. But that don't matter. I never thought I'd be attacked, I thought I would receive legal advice. You help true criminals on here. I don't need anyone to respond. I have found a site and received some wonderful advice from people going through the same thing as me, and an attorney who has dealt with the system, and knows just how corrupt it is. I pray none of you ever have to go through this, don't let your children get even a bruise or it might be you next! And when it is, don't come here for help! The people here are cold hearted.

CdwJava

rosebud69 said:
The DCFS investigator came in the house, kind of forcefully.
Unless they kicked the door in, this is not likely an issue.

My house was a mess because I work nights, and my husband has a hard time keeping up with 5 kids and house.
I understand ... though mine is never messy enough to draw concern from CPS/DCFS.

He said I had to follow case plan or loose my kids.
Pretty normal for anyone under their observation.

My septic system was backing up. I explained to him it had been backing up in back yard for many months, and I asked the landlord to fix it several times with no response. Finally it started backing up in the tub.
Very bad situation! DCFS is not going to care WHOSE fault it is, their concern is going to be that the children are living in a place where the septic system is backing up into the house!

About another week later, the caseworker came over. She complimented the house also. This was a Friday. She said she would return on Tues to do case plan. Well she never showed up, she never called, and never wrote..
Did you call, speak to the supervisor, or make an attempt to get a hold of the caseworker? That helps.

My brother-in-law was here with my 6 year old. The investigator from DCFS showed up. He walked right in the house without permission and proceeded to search my house, even opened desk drawers.
Did anyone tell him to stop? He may have overstepped his bounds, but this is a seperate issue from your child matter.

My questions. On Monday July 17th I have a status hearing. I don't know what I'm allowed to do. I do have a attorney, but he is always to busy for me.
Keep trying until you get a hold of him. However, it could just be that he has nothing else to report for the moment. Yours is likely not the only case he is handling, and it is likely that nthing is going to happen until the next hearing date anyway.

Plus I want to know why was DCFS not repremanded for not coming back when I agreed to work with them.
Have you spoken to the caseworker's supervisor and asked about that?

If they had none of this would have happened.
Not necessarily. You THINK none of this would have happened. But would the issues have been different in some way if the caseworker HAD spoken to you?

Also, I thought to take the children you had to have a warrant or feel the children are in imminent danger?
To some degree, that's true. However, the "imminent" part is not really the issue so much as the likelihood that the children could suffer injury or illness. You will have to ask what their criteria are to take children from the home ... it might be codified somewhere in state law or in the DCFS policies.

How could he say there was imminent danger if he left my daughter here on Thursday, and didn't come back until Saturday?
Good question. But again, "imminent" may not be the operative word here.

Why was he allowed to search my home when I wasn't there?
Probably because no one told him to leave or to stop.

The usual remedy for an unlawful search is suppression of the evidence. In this case there appears to BE no evidence seized, so suppression is not an option. And I doubt that DCFS will be held to the same standards as a peace officer, so suing for an intentional violation of your 4th Amendment rights would likely fail.

I want to know if I would be allowed to ask for them to come home and make DCFS follow through with their plan.
You can always ask them.

This is going to scar them for life, for a dirty house?
It sounds as if it was worse than just "dirty". There is dirty, and there is unhealthy.

Can I say anything to get them home Monday. What are the laws?? Maybe request an emergency hearing if I can't do this at a status hearing.
Only your attorney can answer this.

I see little mention of your husband in this. Do both of you work? (Regular jobs, not the occasional side job for a few dollars.)

Do either of you drink a lot of alcohol or smoke a great deal? Do either of you have a criminal history? Do the children go without food or clean clothes?

All these and more play into the decision to take a child from their home. You need to speak to your attorney about your rights and your responsibilities in this matter.

- Carl

S

shell007

I am sorry I asked for help here. I don't call clothes and toys laying around a health hazard.
In your case it was raw sewage...NOT... clothes and toys.

If that is the case 1/2 this county would have their kids taken from them. Their were kids in the house, their will be some messes.
Why...does everyone in YOUR COUNTY have raw sewage issues???[/B

My 11 year old was staying at my sisters at the time of the septic incident. We had to use the sink, and I was begging my landlord to fix it, but I guess that is my fault too?!
Yep...sure is. If the landlord didn't/wouldn't fix it...STAY IN A HOTEL until it's fixed.

And the arrangements were made, he was there Thursday to get them, if he felt there was real danger he would have camped on my door step or at least come back the next day!
Why...so he/she could bathe in raw sewage too???

I didn't have an attorney because this happened on a Saturday and the hearing was Monday morning. Not even God can get an attorney hired on a weekend.
Don't kid me...you don't have an attorney because YOU CAN'T AFFORD ONE!!

And for your information, I do feel emotion. I am a basket case, I can hardly even work at my job. But my emotions don't matter. If you are a parent, you would know the only thing that matters is my children and what they are going through.
I am a parent, and I DON'T let my children live in filth.

I would die for them. So go ahead and think I am terrible for my house.
There is NO EXCUSE TO LIVE IN FILTH.

I am the only working parent, and I had to work a lot of hours to make ends meet, and than when I was off, I felt it more important to be with my children.
Obviously CPS though that you should have also had a "CLEAN/ HEALTHY" house for the children to live in.

I came here for legal advice, I wish there was a way to post my case file on here to show I am telling everything.
No on here doubts that you are telling everything! With that being said...YOU HAVE REVEALED YOUR TRUE SELF.

But that don't matter. I never thought I'd be attacked, I thought I would receive legal advice. You help true criminals on here.
We don't help criminals...this is a legal forum...NOT a get advice and a get out of jail free card.

I don't need anyone to respond.
Too late!!!

I have found a site and received some wonderful advice from people going through the same thing as me, and an attorney who has dealt with the system, and knows just how corrupt it is.
Good for you. Tell Dr. Phil I said Hi!

I pray none of you ever have to go through this, don't let your children get even a bruise.
Don't worry your little heart out. My house is "clean" and my children are without bruises!

And when it is, don't come here for help! The people here are cold hearted.
Yep...I don't get paid enough to be nice.

rosebud69

You are a ditz, if you read the septic was only an issue backing up for a couple days, that issue was resolved and no longer an issue, and I was allowed to come home with the kids. I stayed at my mom's during this, do you know how to read?

And all that was in the house was clothes and toys, nothing unhealthy. And Yes, I live in redneck country, and a lot of people live worse than I ever dreamed of.

And don't you ever EVER tell me I don't care for my kids. Just because I am not rich doesn't mean I don't provide for them.

And dummy, I couldn't get a lawyer to answer a phone on a Sunday. And I do have a lawyer, he is not court appointed. I PAID FOR HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't judge until you know all the facts, at least the post before you wasn't so judgemental.

And like Dr. Phil would ever answer me. I will not tell you the site because these people are going through hell, and don't need you. All your child has to do is fall down, and you could be turned in. Nobody is immune to CPS, even you.

Thank you to the other person that replied in a civil manner without judging me.

Rushia

rosebud69 said:
My septic system was backing up. I explained to him it had been backing up in back yard for many months, and I asked the landlord to fix it several times with no response. Finally it started backing up in the tub.
rosebud69 said:
You are a ditz, if you read the septic was only an issue backing up for a couple days, that issue was resolved and no longer an issue, and I was allowed to come home with the kids. I stayed at my mom's during this, do you know how to read?

I can read and first it clearly says "many months" then it says "couple days".

AHA

Rushia said:
I can read and first it clearly says "many months" then it says "couple days".
Are you surprised to see yet another OP spinning around in her own head? :p

rosebud69

It was backing up in the back yard for several months, and I asked for it to be fixed, and it never was. Than after a few months of backing up in the yard, it started backing up in the bathroom, I again asked her(again) twice to fix it. She seen that the health dept was here and she was going to get in trouble, and finally had it fixed and cleaned up in a few days. So in the house it only backed up for a few days. As far as outside goes, I did not allow my children to play anywhere near it, and it was winter the majority of the time that this happened. Sorry for the confusion, but I do wish you guys would try and act a little bit civil, this is ridiculous.

Multimom

I haven't been on this forum in years and I was thrilled to see the cease and decist order for IAAL. (What a jerk), unfortunately, he set the tone for most of those who post here and their attitude is if you come here for advice you must be the culprit. To the majority here (attornies or others) you are guilty until proven innocent and after the incredible screw up with the DNA lab in Houston, TX you would think people should reconsider.

However, I do know that the people who believe CPS are all knowing and never wrong are sadly mistaken, that is why so many children completely disappear while in CPS custody, and why many children who are actually in real danger are returned to their dangerous families and end up dead.

I once did in home daycare successfully for many years. I had an unannounced inspection of my home one year. I was cited under the reg for "sanitation" because I had a load of just washed, clean towels on my sofa that I had just removed from the dryer (15 minutes earlier - still warm to the touch mind you) yet to be folded. I've often wondered how clean towels posed a sanitation issue.

Parents, if you begin being hounded by CPS and you still have your kids, spare yourself and your children the horror if you can and move away as quickly as possible.

In most cases a CPS worker is on a huge power trip, and terribly over worked so they take the case that requires the least amount of work to create the biggest mess. Because a small matter doesn't require as much paperwork to create a huge amount of havoc. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">