• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I wanna be a fed! "marker" for my expunged juvenile record?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wanttobeafed

I am from ALABAMA.

I had several convictions as a minor in Alabama, the last one was an assault conviction at the age of 18 in 1998. This was given "Youthful Offender" status. I have never commited or been convicted of a crime since becoming an adult, not even a speeding ticket.

I am currently a government employee and want to join an intelligence agency. Some lawyers in my government office told me today that certain states have "markers" that indicate that a subject was arrested and convicted, although the record is expunged.

My questions:

1. For my juvenile conviction in the state of ALabama in 1998, has it in fact been "expunged" (destroyed and all references thereto removed) or simply "sealed?" Do I need to request this action or did it happen automatically?

2. Does Alabama use "markers," that the federal agency investigating my record could check to see that I was convicted of a crime as a minor, even though the conviction occured in 1998 and has been "expunged?"

I basically want to know if I have to tell the federal government about my juvenile record, and if I do not tell them, if they can they check and see based on a "marker."

saleen355

You're record will not be "destroyed", but what you would say "sealed". Unfortunately, from my understanding, when I applied for the Air Force, the sergeant told me that they do check juvenile offenses, but said that a court can waiver those offenses. Only government and yourself can retrieve your juvenile records after your last case as a minor has been closed. But for businesses, personal background checks, and everyone else, cannot pull up your juvenile record.

Another, even if they don't pull it up, don't think they wont ask. A majority of large law enforcement and federal agents are required to take polygraph tests. So the worst thing you can do is lie.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">