• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I want my son back!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MitchSilvia

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I have an fifteen year old autistic child who was experiencing some psychosis's over past several days and weeks. We took him into a mental health facility for what we were told was an 'free evaluation', after an hour or so of talking with him and then talking with us...I was told the he was going to be admitted to a mental health facility called Northeast Georgia Mental Health Hospital...and that I had no choice. That my rights as a parent to prevent this had been taken away and that they were going to admit him whether I agreed to it or not. Then...then just took him. It was horrifying and he is terrified. I am so angry. I feel like I was lied to and misled. I feel like I was railroaded into taking him to get this 'free evaluation' and then the moment they found out we didn't have insurance then shipped him of to the State! I want my son back NOW!!:mad::mad::confused::confused:What is the name of your state?

Idori

Wow! They didn't even have you sign something to do this? I am so sorry for you both. What a frightening situation for him. Are you able to see him daily at least? What do the 'officials' who have him say about his care and when he can go home?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This is a mandatory hold - likely a 72 hour hold. Apparently, the hospital felt that he was a danger to himself or others.
You need to take this time to explore the options for getting your child the help he so badly needs. Try not to assume an adversarial relationship with the hospital...try to work with them. They will have resources to offer you...

ETA: They can extend this hold if they feel it is necessary.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">