• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

If I move out I don't have to quit school right?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

paranoidfreek

What is the name of your state? Georgia. Ok, i've been planning to move out of my house when i'm eighteen and live with my friends in North Carolina. But my dad was telling me that if i do that the highschool up there can't except me because i don't live with my parents. Is that true? My parents have tried making things up before so i wouldn't leave. But I don't want to be here any more. If it is true then couldn't i just get an adult to sponsor me or something? I mean that just doesn't sound right to me. If someone underage emancipates themselves they can still go to school but it's different if your a legal adult? Somebody fill me in here.

Wolflmg

What grade will you be going in? Most highschools are going to need something from the parents stateing that their child is able to go to the highschool, but I could be wrong.

But just a little advice, how do you plan on taking care of yourself? Are you going to be supporting yourself 100%? Becasue with you moving out on your own, your basicly telling your parents you no longer need their support.

I

itsacatsworld

At 18 your an adult and are liable for your decisions. I dont know about school cus every district has rules reguarding these issues according to state law. Think hard kid cus your father seems he means business and there are consequences.

paranoidfreek

Ooook I looked up and down that thing and I...think i get it. It's a little confusing. I'm pretty sure it said that anyone under 21 can go to school as long as they haven't been suspended or expelled or haven't already graduated. Is that right?

Happy Trails

paranoidfreek said:
Ooook I looked up and down that thing and I...think i get it. It's a little confusing. I'm pretty sure it said that anyone under 21 can go to school as long as they haven't been suspended or expelled or haven't already graduated. Is that right?
Yes, that's part of it.

You should check with the school district in which you would be transferring to and find out if there are other requirements. (How long you would need to be a resident... if you need to have a guardian...)

Since you will be a legal adult you should be able to authorize the transfer of your transcripts etc...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">