• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal Dating/Abduction? Age Questions.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sufferwellxx

What is the name of your state? California.

I'm from California and I'm 16 years old. Recently, I've been caught for lying to my parents and sneaking out with 18 year old friends. One of them is my boyfriend. They still go to school and can already drive. When my parents found out and he drove me home, they threatened to call the cops and press charges on him for abduction. I don't exactly know the whole California laws thing. I need to know is it illegal for an 18 year old to just date (not have sex) with a 16 year old? Is it illegal for them to hang out, and just hang out as in go watch a movie at his house or meet his parents? Is it also illegal for the 18 year old to drive me to places because I'm 16? I don't exactly know these laws. I don't know any other way to see him. If I choose to be with him, disobeying the rules my parents set me, what are the possibilities of that outcome? I need evidence to prove what the law really is. Can someone prove to me if all those questions I've asked are illegal or not? This would really help with some problems in my life and my family. Thank you.

CdwJava

sufferwellxx said:
I need to know is it illegal for an 18 year old to just date (not have sex) with a 16 year old?
Generally, no - it is perfectly legal.

Is it illegal for them to hang out, and just hang out as in go watch a movie at his house or meet his parents?

Is it also illegal for the 18 year old to drive me to places because I'm 16?

If I choose to be with him, disobeying the rules my parents set me, what are the possibilities of that outcome?
THERE is the rub!

IF you disobey your parents to see him, and if he KNOWS you are disobeying them, and he in any way assists you to disobey or avoid their control, then he can be charged with a misdemeanor crime for contributing to your delinquency.

Read Penal Code section 272:

272. (a) (1) Every person who commits any act or omits the
performance of any duty, which act or omission causes or tends to
cause or encourage any person under the age of 18 years to come
within the provisions of Section 300, 601, or 602 of the Welfare and
Institutions Code or which act or omission contributes thereto, or
any person who, by any act or omission, or by threats, commands, or
persuasion, induces or endeavors to induce any person under the age
of 18 years or any ward or dependent child of the juvenile court to
fail or refuse to conform to a lawful order of the juvenile court, or
to do or to perform any act or to follow any course of conduct or to
so live as would cause or manifestly tend to cause that person to
become or to remain a person within the provisions of Section 300,
601, or 602 of the Welfare and Institutions Code, is guilty of a
misdemeanor and upon conviction thereof shall be punished by a fine
not exceeding two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500), or by
imprisonment in the county jail for not more than one year, or by
both fine and imprisonment in a county jail, or may be released on
probation for a period not exceeding five years.

Essentially, that says that if he does anything to aid in your delinquency he can go to jail. And, if you are out of the control of your parents (disobeying, running away, etc.) you are out of their control.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">