• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

illegal incarceration? kidnapping?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Seattlite

I have a question regarding the legality of something that happened to me when I was a minor and a resident of Washington state.

When I was 15 in 1997 I was in a military boarding school in Missouri for several months out of the year, but I am reasonably sure I was still a resident of Washington state as my address was there, I returned there regularly and my family lived there.

While I was at the military school my father showed up one day and told me I was going home. We flew to Salt Lake City, Utah where I was told we were catching a "connecting" flight. When we got there several large men my father signaled to grabbed me while I was kicking and screaming for help and threw me into a van w/ tinted windows. I was then driven to a juveline lock-down secure facility known as "Provo Canyon School" which was half mental hospital/ half prison. During that time I was forcibly medicated on psychotropic drugs as well as physically abused by the staff members. I stayed there for a year and two months.

My question is what recourse do I have? I realize this happened in 1997-99 and it might be too late, but did my father have the legal authority to have me incarcerated without a review from the state or a state-approved psychologist? Since this time I have gone on to do well in college and am working on graduate school. I have an official opinion from several licensed professionals after that ordeal that my treatment was unnecessary.

Is there anything I can do with regards to prosecuting my father or Provo Canyon School? My father has sinced moved out of state to Kansas. Even if there is nothing that can be done criminally are there any civil avenues? Also, if he is beyond reach I am also interested in having the state take note of what happened so if my father returned to Washington he could be held accountable for these actions.

Last edited:

Seattlite

May I ask why? Is it because of a statute of limitations or because the acts themselves were never criminal to begin with?

seniorjudge

May I ask why? Is it because of a statute of limitations or because the acts themselves were never criminal to begin with?
The statute of limitations appears to have run on both criminal and civil charges.

However, feel free to hire a lawyer to tell you exactly what you can and cannot do.

L

LegalWithAnI

The statute of limitations appears to have run on both criminal and civil charges.

However, feel free to hire a lawyer to tell you exactly what you can and cannot do.
I thought that in most states if you leave the state for any amount of time the statute of limitations is paused until you return.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">