• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it illegal for a juvenile to refuse a breathalyzer (non-motor vehicle related)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

toobhed

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

*Edit Thanks for the responses, most of them have been insightful. I am still hoping someone out there can answer the question.

This does not involve public intoxication or a motor vehicle. If the police suspect a juvenile is drinking, inside their place of residence, can they require them to submit to a breathalyzer? Is it against the law to refuse? If the police come to your house, are you breaking the law if you do not answer the door? Can they enter your house without your permission? This is all based off of the assumption that the police have made that their is underage drinking inside the residence. No other crimes are suspected.

I appreciate any informed answers, thank you.

Last edited:

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

This does not involve public intoxication or a motor vehicle. If the police suspect a juvenile is drinking, inside their place of residence, can they require them to submit to a breathalyzer? Is it against the law to refuse? If the police come to your house, are you breaking the law if you do not answer the door? Can they enter your house without your permission? This is all based off of the assumption that the police have made that their is underage drinking inside the residence. No other crimes are suspected.

I appreciate any informed answers, thank you.
The police didn't just show up at your house because they had nothing better to do. If you are underage, drinking is illegal no matter where you do it.

Just Blue

The police didn't just show up at your house because they had nothing better to do. If you are underage, drinking is illegal no matter where you do it.
Not really. Parents can give their child a beer in their home or their control. :)

I am sure OG will correct me if this is "wrong" for OH, but I recall another thread like this and OG, in the thread, stated that is was not "illegal".

I know it is in my state.

Now if OP is plying non-children (friends of child) ...that is different.:)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If you are underage, drinking is illegal no matter where you do it.
Sorry, that is not true. There are exceptions for medicinal & religious reasons. Also, with parental, spousal or guardian permission, an underaged person CAN drink in certain other situations

4301.631 Purchase or consumption low-alcohol beverage by persons under eighteen prohibited.
(H) No underage person shall knowingly possess or consume any low-alcohol beverage in any public or private place, unless accompanied by a parent, spouse who is not an underage person, or legal guardian, or unless the low-alcohol beverage is given by a physician in the regular line of the physician’s practice or given for established religious purposes.

toobhed

I am not contesting the legality of underage drinking. We were not there and would not condone it under any circumstances. Mom and Dad are away and the kids decided to play. I'm sure the cops got a noise complaint...

The question is if it is illegal for a juvenile to refuse a breathalyzer because they are suspected of underage drinking at their home. The "home" part is important because while the drinking part is illegal, are the police justified to enter a residence because they have reason to believe there is underage drinking going on inside? I think the kids were within their rights to want to wait until we got there.

Silverplum

I am not contesting the legality of underage drinking. We were not there and would not condone it under any circumstances. Mom and Dad are away and the kids decided to play. I'm sure the cops got a noise complaint...

The question is if it is illegal for a juvenile to refuse a breathalyzer because they are suspected of underage drinking at their home. The "home" part is important because while the drinking part is illegal, are the police justified to enter a residence because they have reason to believe there is underage drinking going on inside? I think the kids were within their rights to want to wait until we got there.
So you don't condone the underge drinking under any circumstances, but you want to protect your kid/s from the consequences? Soften the consequences? Make the "illegal" part go away, and you can handle the "not condoning" part in your own manner?

Just checking.

xylene

So you don't condone the underge drinking under any circumstances, but you want to protect your kid/s from the consequences? Soften the consequences? Make the "illegal" part go away, and you can handle the "not condoning" part in your own manner?

Just checking.
No sane parent would place his or her child fate in the hands of the criminal justice system for offenses involving only the use or possession of alcohol.

It is quite possible to not condone underage drinking yet feel the punishment is inappropriate and to do what is legally right for your child's best interest.

I have no idea why you would expect a parent to look past the violation of a suspect's rights, most certainly to be secure in their own home.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">