• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it illegal for me to contact this fifteen year old girl?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rex-kwon-do

What is the name of your state? I live in the UK.

Hey, I know it's long, but please read it as,more than anything (although you may argue otherwise), I need some advice

I don't want to disclose too much about myself so I'll keep things to a minimum and change a few things.

First thing's first. I work in a shop, selling things - let's say I sell spectacles for consistency's sake - and I'm very good at it, even if I do say so myself. I'm twenty years old; I live with my parents and older brother, and am generally comfortable with my situation at the moment. This is all you need to know about me, at least for now.

Now, to avoid any misunderstandings, I would just like to remind you all that the legal age for consensual sex in the UK is sixteen years old.

Just over a week ago, two customers came into my workplace - a mother and daughter. I didn't deal with them at first as I was busy elsewhere, but they were seen to by a colleague of mine and all was well. (This is where I really need to change things to adjust to the spectacle-selling, but it'll still work.)

So before these people could buy any spectacles, they'd obviously need a sight test. The mother went first and the daughter sat outside in the waiting area. I walked past the waiting area a couple of times and we exchanged smiles, as I do with all customers who bother to look at me, and I went about my work as before. Now, due to the computer records we keep on customers, I knew how old this girl was - she was fifteen years old. I knew this all the time and one of the first things that went through my head when I saw her was 'she's pretty; I can't believe she's only fifteen.'

Ok, so the daughter went in for her sight test while the mother waited, as per usual. After the tests, I was handed their prescriptions (?) and was given the task of helping them choose some spectacles. I told them what deals we had going on at the moment and made a few suggestions and was given the preferred 'I'll look alone and give you a shout when I've picked some' line. This part of the story isn't very important, I'm just saying this is my first interaction and how I came to be involved in their spectacle-purchasing.

After a while the mother had chosen some glasses and I had a look and gave her the green light that those would be suitable for her needs. While this "weighing up" was going on, her daughter sat patiently with her choices in her hand. When my thumbs up had been given, the mother said 'ok, your turn' and her daughter got up and showed me the glasses she had chosen. I said fine and we went to take a seat to actually order them on the computer.

So we're sitting around the computer and I ask whose going first and the daughter says her mother can. As I've already said, I'm good at my job and I sail through it. (You'll see why I picked opticians as the cover-up in a second.) All I need to do is basically make sure the spectacles fit the customer and measure the distance between their eyes.

I did this with the mother and it was just like any other customer. I put her orders through and then it was the daughters turn. The spectacles fit her fine, and then came the eye-measuring. The method is simple: Hold a ruler against her forehead and have her look into my eyes, one at a time, and measure the space between her pupils. I do this around about ten times a day, everyday. It takes about four or five seconds, at most.

This girl though, the daughter, the fifteen year old child - for Christ's sake - had the most beautiful eyes I've ever seen. I could have got lost in them. If you've never looked into someone’s eyes and felt anything magic, you probably won't understand, but for those who have - why didn't you tell me about it, man? So there I was, looking into this girl's eyes, asking her to look into mine and I'm doing my dang-hardest to take an accurate measurement - and then she smiles. I glance down, see the smile, raise my few to the full picture and I'm in love. Ok, maybe not, but Jesus Christ she looked perfect. I'm sure I blushed - and I never blush. Pulchritudinous girl.

Anyway, I fumbled my way through it and ordered the spectacles and they went on the way. The mother had to come back a week later for, uhh, contact lenses (genius! Heh.) and spectacles usually take about one week to come in. I was mildly pleased about the prospect of her and her daughter coming in to collect their glasses and have them fitted - mainly so I could reassure myself that it was a one off and I don't think a fifteen year old girl is beautiful. However, the mother came alone, and picked up her daughter's glasses, and her own, and left. At first I thought this was good but then I realised it's only made me want to see her more.

Now for my question. If you've read this far, I appreciate it - sorry it's so long.

So, basically, I was talking about my day at work to someone on the internet (MSN) and mentioned this girl's eyes in a joking manner and my friend suggested I "look her up." I didn't tell my friend her age, and I presume this recommendation wouldn't have been made had I divulged such information.

As suggested I typed her name into MySpace (never used it before in my life but was reliably informed "it's what all the cool cats use.") and a few profiles came up. Luckily they had their locations listed for each and I saw one that's near me. I knew it was the same person straight away and clicked on her. Apparently I can't see her profile unless I'm on her "friend list" though. (I was as confused as you are, too. Heh.) I could see a small photo though and it's her.

I know you probably think I'm weird, but I just want to tell her I think she has lovely eyes. That's it. Could I get into a lot of trouble for contacting her? Both if she didn't mind and/or if she didn't take too kindly to it and TRIED to get me into trouble?

Would it be some kind of paedophile act if I registered and sent her a message?

I know I sound ****ed up and I don't know what's wrong with me. It's not like I'm having perverted thoughts about girls I shouldn't - I'm not a paedophile. Could I be perceived as one if I did contact her?

Literally, what's the worst that could happen?

Is this illegal?

I'm seriously thinking about signing up and sending her a message the day before I go on vacation for two weeks. I haven't though about what to say though, probably just something simple that tells her exactly how and why I'm contacting her. (Was suggested to "look her up" and just to tell her I think she has beautiful eyes. Also that I don't feel 100% comfortable with it all due to her age.)

One last point regarding "under age." I just want to express that I do not want to sleep with this girl. I merely want to compliment her and see how she reacts. I do not see a big problem with this, regarding her age - it's an aesthetic thing - it's not as if features suddenly take on a new level when they hit sixteen years old. Just like a sunset or a stunning view, it needn't be incriminating.

Thanks for reading. I appreciate any comments.

Just Blue

Oh. Dangit.

How about if it was the US? Oh, I guess it differs from state to state.

Aww, man.
If you were in the US her father would go to your shop and kick your ass for bothering his fifteen year old girl! I don't care what country you are in....you are a creep!

tranquility

If you contacted my daughter under similar circumstances, I'd make sure to tell you something as well. I don't know the law in the UK. But, staying only within the confines of the legal system is less than the bare minimum people should do. Saying please and thank you are an expected courtesy. If you don't say them, you won't go to jail, but you might anger the person you're dealing with and will make the social fabric so much less.

Telling an person of an inappropriate age they have some physical attribute you find attractive is much worse. Even if it didn't rise to the level of a crime, who is enhanced by it? What is made better? The way you write belies your true purpose. You are looking to benefit you. I assure you she will gain no value from the compliment which would have been far less inappropriate if it were spontaneous and in the moment. Searching her out? Considering the legal ramifications? Please. Spare us your defense.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">