• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it illegal for a parent to have their babies ears pierced?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adisas91

I am not a US citizen and I wanted to know if it is illegal for a parent to have their baby's ear's pierced.

CSO286

Can you quote any sources sir?

Like a article no. or something.
There is no way to prove the negative.

It like asking if it's illegal to wear purple. Since there is no law stating that you cannot wear purple, you can--until or unless a law is passed forbidding it.

And as an aside: US LAW ONLY.

adisas91

There is no way to prove the negative.

It like asking if it's illegal to wear purple. Since there is no law stating that you cannot wear purple, you can--until or unless a law is passed forbidding it.

And as an aside: US LAW ONLY.
There must have been some court case, somewhere, where one of the parents wanted a divorce cause the other parent had their son/daughter's ears pierced!

There must also be tattoo, piercing laws which might have laid out restrictions on how a juvenile could have his ears pierced! UK has that law. If you are below 16, you have to get your parent's consent. I am looking for an equivalent in your country's law!

adisas91

Well .. do you think a non US citizen would bet against something being illegal in US? The land of freedom?

CSO286

There must have been some court case, somewhere, where one of the parents wanted a divorce cause the other parent had their son/daughter's ears pierced!

There must also be tattoo, piercing laws which might have laid out restrictions on how a juvenile could have his ears pierced! UK has that law. If you are below 16, you have to get your parent's consent. I am looking for an equivalent in your country's law!
Run along, now and go ask Dr. McGoogle for help, ok?

single317dad

You can get a divorce for any reason, or no reason at all, in most every state. Whether one parent or the other made a parenting choice that annoyed the other will be largely irrelevant unless it endangered the child somehow.

Here's a handy table I found within 5 seconds of typing "piercing law 18" into Google.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/rpt/2013-R-0231.htm

ETA: I like that New Hampshire's statute specifically mentions "branding" a unemancipated minor. As my old pals Bab & Tom say: "If nobody ever did it, there wouldn't be a law."

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Generally, either parent can consent to piercing, even an infant. The problem comes in when there are custody issues (court ordered) where one parent only is allowed to make such decisions, But your question is hypothetical, and I don't play that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">