• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it illegal to watch someone spraypaint private property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

What is the name of your state?

If you helped to purchase the paint or encouraged the painting, you could possibly be implicated in the vandalism. Otherwise, no. You cannot be held legally liable for the criminal acts of others. Reporting to the police any illegal activity that you see, however, can be a good thing to do.

This is assuming that the property owner did not want their property spray painted.

xylene

Watch, like across the way and didn't report it or watch like standing there as a participant but just didn't get caught with a can in your hand?

IvanThe

I am from California. The post got messed up for some reason and didn't include that. I won't have a can in my hand, I'll simply be standing there, watching. Not helping him at all.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Watch, like across the way and didn't report it or watch like standing there as a participant but just didn't get caught with a can in your hand?
Or watch as in encouraging the spray painters by laughing, pointing, cheering, etc?

IvanThe

This is a legal website, not a life advice website. I'm just trying to determine the legality of this

quincy

I am from California. The post got messed up for some reason and didn't include that. I won't have a can in my hand, I'll simply be standing there, watching. Not helping him at all.
You potentially could be arrested along with the spray painter and liability could be sorted out later.

If you or a friend are considering painting property without permission from the property owner, I recommend you rethink your plans.

Zigner

This is a legal website, not a life advice website. I'm just trying to determine the legality of this
You can be charged as an accessory, or even as a participant. Cops don't like punk kids who cop an attitude any more than I like them...

Zigner

You potentially could be arrested along with the spray painter and liability could be sorted out later.

If you or a friend is considering painting property without permission from the property owner, I recommend you rethink your plans.
Cut out the life advice - da kid don't want it.

xylene

You could also get popped for trespassing just for being there, depending on where that was.

quincy

As a bit of an aside:

Noted street artist Shepard Fairy was charged with felony vandalism over his graffiti artwork on abandoned buildings in Detroit, despite the fact that his artwork was attractive and a big improvement to the buildings. He has been charged with vandalism in other cities, as well. Art students in Ann Arbor graffiti-painted overpasses belonging to CSX railway and the police charged the students with vandalism.

In the Ann Arbor case, CSX stepped in to say they wanted to pay the students for the artwork already completed and hire them to paint other overpasses, so charges were dismissed. Shepard Fairy has not fared so well.

If the property owners object to the painting, it is vandalism - and anyone who looks to be involved can be arrested and potentially charged. I personally would not want to be standing too close to any vandal when someone calls the police.

If someone has an urge to spray paint, perhaps they might want to contact property owners and ask if they want their fences or garages painted. Not only will the "budding artists" avoid criminal charges, they can earn themselves some extra money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">