• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In Illinois...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B Side7

In Illinois,

I was recently grounded and had all my freedom taken away by my parents after getting caught for pot. They've threatened boarding school or some type of rehab. I'm 17, and I'm being tried in court as an adult. Do my parents have the legal right still to tell me where I have to go to school or have the right to force me into rehab? (It's really not even that big of a deal, you don't get addicted to pot and I've never done any other drugs, so I don't see the point in rehab anyway)

B Side7

Also I'm aware that they could tell that they wouldn't pay for public school and that they would only pay for military school or rehab, but if I paid for my own books etc. could I still stay in public school?

Just Blue

B Side7 said:
In Illinois,

I was recently grounded and had all my freedom taken away by my parents after getting caught for pot. They've threatened boarding school or some type of rehab. I'm 17, and I'm being tried in court as an adult. Do my parents have the legal right still to tell me where I have to go to school or have the right to force me into rehab? (It's really not even that big of a deal, you don't get addicted to pot and I've never done any other drugs, so I don't see the point in rehab anyway)

Yes they do...When you are 18 you can move out and smoke dope till you get busted by the cops....then you will go to jail and a CO will be telling you what to do....Or you can abide by what your parents say and finish school and go to college. Perhaps you might make something of your life.

Your choice...

CdwJava

B Side7 said:
Do my parents have the legal right still to tell me where I have to go to school or have the right to force me into rehab?
Yes, they do. When you are 18 you can move out and do what you want.

(It's really not even that big of a deal, you don't get addicted to pot and I've never done any other drugs, so I don't see the point in rehab anyway)
While you are not likely to get physically addicted to marijuana, there are ample studies to show that many frequent users develop a psychological addiction. The point of rehab would be to try and help you develop some common sense and try to teach you about alternatives to killing brain cells.

And all because you have not yet done any other drugs does not mean that you won't. And since almost all hard-core dopers out there started with marijuana, you have already taken that all-important first step to a more serious problem.

- Carl

CdwJava

B Side7 said:
Also I'm aware that they could tell that they wouldn't pay for public school and that they would only pay for military school or rehab, but if I paid for my own books etc. could I still stay in public school?
YOU don't have that choice. And YOU don't have any money if they don't let you work or give you any.

- Carl

B Side7

Well I'm not an idiot, I get great grades and do a lot of extracurricular stuff (jazz band, internship, jobs). I'm not willing to screw up my life on other drugs, and it's been proven that pot doesn't kill brain cells (alcohol does). Just because someone smokes pot doesn't make them moron or a drug addict, I just made a dumb decision about when and where to do it. I didn't even say that I was going to do it again. So please, I didn't ask for you to attack me about smoking marijuana, I just asked for help with a law. Thanks for your answer though. That sucks, I don't want to go to military school!

B Side7

And I do have jobs and the money to fund my education in a public school for one more year (when I'd be 18 anyway) I'd only have to finish out this year as a 17 year old.

CdwJava

B Side7 said:
I'm not willing to screw up my life on other drugs,
You're just willing to screw it up on pot?

And, yes, there are many people that are messed up on pot. Ever wonder why the caricature of people who smoke pot is as a brainless half-wit? It's because many who do so become that way. When you get older and see a few of these folks you will understand.

and it's been proven that pot doesn't kill brain cells (alcohol does).
Yeah, I read the same NORML and MAPS web sites ... try the medical journals and you will find that it does indeed have some effect on the brain. Whether it actually "kills" brain cells may be arguable, but that it has a negative effect on the brain's function is not.

Just because someone smokes pot doesn't make them moron or a drug addict, I just made a dumb decision about when and where to do it.
It's a dumb decision to do it at all. Not oinly because it is illegal but because it has some pretty dire long term effects - especially when smoked regularly. Although I am sure you won't believe that because you prefer to believe all the NORML sites. That's fine. Just don't expect a whole lot out of life if you continue toking up.

So please, I didn't ask for you to attack me about smoking marijuana, I just asked for help with a law. Thanks for your answer though. That sucks, I don't want to go to military school!
And the law says you are a minor child and your parents have a great deal of control over where you go, where you live, and what you do until you are an adult (18 and out of high school).

- Carl

B Side7

Again, thank you for the answer about what I am subject to under my parents, and again, I wasn't here to debate about marijuana. But if you want to:

Sure, I've been to NORML and MAPS, but I've been to theantidrug, freevibe, mediacampaign, and many others too. I'm sure you've heard of WebMD before, though. I'd consider that to be a somewhat neutral source (if you don't agree, that's ok). Do a search for marijuana on that site. There's some negative and some positive, but on the negative articles, 90% of the sources are from strict anti-teen-drug-use groups. The positive articles are heavily based on independant and neutral studies. Especially, on the second page of the search, read the "Heavy Pot Use Lowers IQ" article. There, it says a study showed that people who smoke over 5 joints a week (I was never close to that), have slightly lower IQ's, but former smokers and people who smoke less than 5 joints a week showed a slight INCREASE of IQ scores. Much of the anti-marijuana campaign IS, unarguably, funded by major alcohol and tobacco companies to encourage the use of their much more hazardous intoxicants.

B Side7

outonbail said:
That's the point, that's why your parents are upset!
Exactly. I know why they're upset. I know they have reason to be. But I don't want to be subject to going to a school I don't want to go to. But I guess I am. But thininking on that, they might not be able to make me go for another reason. Pretty much all schools have already started their second semester. I highly doubt any private schools would still be accepting admissions partway through the second semester. And by next school year I'm 18! Haha might have scored!

CdwJava

IQ has nothing to do with application, drive and success. So it is hardly impressive that some study might infer that those who smoke pot moderately might have a rise in IQ. There are people with high IQs that are unsuccessful, and those with low IQs that are very successful. Heck, there was a study in England that inferred that people who smoked a little marijuana were BETTER drivers ... of course, that was until the methodology came under scrutiny.

Read what pot does to ambition, motivation, drive, and long-term motor skills.

But, since you will continue to smoke that junk until YOU decide you shouldn't any more, all I can say is have a nice life.

And while you may think you "scored", are you ready to continue to go to scholl and live life on your own after you turn 18? Rent, food, entertainment, utilities, etc. all cost money. Working full time and going to school can be a bear.

- Carl

Happy Trails

CdwJava said:
IQ has nothing to do with application, drive and success. So it is hardly impressive that some study might infer that those who smoke pot moderately might have a rise in IQ. There are people with high IQs that are unsuccessful, and those with low IQs that are very successful. Heck, there was a study in England that inferred that people who smoked a little marijuana were BETTER drivers ... of course, that was until the methodology came under scrutiny.

But, since you will continue to smoke that junk until YOU decide you shouldn't any more, all I can say is have a nice life.

And while you may think you "scored", are you ready to continue to go to scholl and live life on your own after you turn 18? Rent, food, entertainment, utilities, etc. all cost money. Working full time and going to school can be a bear.

- Carl
Amen, Carl, Amen!

B Side7

CdwJava said:

- Carl
I know many people with high IQ's don't achieve "success", while many with low IQ's do. But, I DO have drive and motivation. As it says in the original post, I am an intern at a professional recording studio, I work THREE jobs, and have good grades. The thing about marijuana is that most users ARE NOT on it most of the time. When you aren't high, motivation is NOT affected. Even you are sometimes, motivation is not affected. I am not worried about marijuana screwing up my life in this way. If it starts to, I am not worried that I wouldn't be able to stop. And for the legal aspect of it. IF I continue to smoke, IF, then I will never again be as dumb as I was to get caught this time. I am all for legalization. If no one smokes pot because they are afraid of the law, how is it going to change anything. If barely anyone uses it, then no one will care anymore about how our government is taking away the right to do something that in no way, shape, or form harms others. Someone I know got caught trying to steal cigarettes from a local store recently, and since the store didn't press charges, NOTHING was done to him. Our legal system is screwed up so bad, I could be facing jail time for basically minding my own business, and someone who tried to TAKE SOMEONE ELSE'S PROPERTY gets off scott free. Ridiculous

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">