• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The Illinois legal age for parental separation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

afficionado

I am a seventeen year old female in the state of Illinois with a steady job, and I am able to meet my personal education costs. Over the years, I have found my single mother to be inadequate as far as caring for (or even reacting to) her children is concerned. Moving in with my father is not an option. She has tried multiple times to enforce the state law on me for absolutely bizarre reasons in completely harmless situations, and frankly, I've gotten sick of it. This has gotten to the point where she seems absolutely determined to destroy my potential. I directly quote, "You'll be lucky if you even get your GED when I'm done with you." She's been figuratively stunting my growth for a while now and I'm not willing to go on with it any longer, which is why I decided that, if at all possible, I would prefer to move into an appartment with some older friends of mine. I have no attorney and it is almost too obvious that she will pursue me in court if I so much as try to pull this off, but that's something I am willing to go through with in order to spare myself another full year of this. Emancipation came to mind, but I'm aware that my case wouldn't hold against an adult's, at least not with my lifelong knowledge of this area. With all of this and more in mind, I've searched the internet for answers as to my predicament and haven't found a solid source for the state of Illinois as of yet, so I've decided to bring up the subject personally.

Is it legal for a seventeen year old female to move out of her parents' house without parental consent (job and support spoken of) in the state of Illinois as of the year 2007?
Any help on this topic is really appreciated. :confused:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Is it legal for a seventeen year old female to move out of her parents' house without parental consent (job and support spoken of) in the state of Illinois as of the year 2007?

No, it is not.

The only state in which a 17 year old can move out without parental consent is Missouri, and not always there. WITH permission, yes. But until you are 18, you live where Mom tells you to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">