• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illinois Statutory

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B Side7

Didn't know where else to put this...
In Illinois-

I haven't done it, but I am wondering if it is illegal as a 17 year old to have consensual sex with a 16 year old. Any help would be appreciated.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Standard answr to this question:

If you have to ask whether it's legal or not, then regardless of whether the answer is yes or no, it's a very, very bad idea.

ILGrandma

Games

While a 16 year old may give consent, you need to remind yourself that neither of you are considered legal age. What that could mean in cruder terms down the road is that 16 year old can say all day long that consent was given. However, the PARENTS of the 16 year old could look at it entirely different and you could find yourself with a statutory rape charge. It happens more often than it should and many a fine young man finds himself branded as a registered sex offender and serving time for an act that both parties agreed to, but mom and dad of the younger participant saw it differently.

Wolflmg

ILGrandma said:
While a 16 year old may give consent, you need to remind yourself that neither of you are considered legal age. What that could mean in cruder terms down the road is that 16 year old can say all day long that consent was given. However, the PARENTS of the 16 year old could look at it entirely different and you could find yourself with a statutory rape charge. It happens more often than it should and many a fine young man finds himself branded as a registered sex offender and serving time for an act that both parties agreed to, but mom and dad of the younger participant saw it differently.
Unfourtanly it's unlikely that the chrage would pass. 17 is not considered an adult and most states would need there to be a four year age difference for it to be statutory rape, meaning the 17 year old would have to be about 21 for any statutory rape charges to be pressed.

But either way, it's still a bad idea.

B Side7

Why do you say unfortunately?

Do you want me to be punished?

It's not like I'm 17 and going to have sex with a 13 year old, come on. 16 is one year younger... and in Illinois, you get tried in adult court at 17, but still a minor until 18, so does that change anything?

Wolflmg

B Side7 said:
Why do you say unfortunately?

Do you want me to be punished?

It's not like I'm 17 and going to have sex with a 13 year old, come on. 16 is one year younger... and in Illinois, you get tried in adult court at 17, but still a minor until 18, so does that change anything?
Because the last thing a 17 and 16 year old need, is a kid on their hands. Protection doesn't mean 100% garantee. I know lot of people your age that had sex and everyone ended up pregnant.

Do the smart thing and wait. Wait until you are fully prepared and ready for anything that can result out of having sex. I'm 22 years old, and I know way too many people who ended up raising kids, a lot sooner then they should have.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">