• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

im a 16 year old father

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ValleyManKOA

California
Hi im a 16 year old father and my girlfriend just turned 17 our baby is due in 2 months me and my girlfriends mom dont get along 2 well.
Since my girlfriend is only 17 when my daughter is born her mom will have custody over the baby. We dont really want that and also her mom wants to move to another state my GF doesnt want to go but will have to because she is still a minor. We also plan on getting married so my question is what can we do about this whole situation can she get Emanstipated without her mothers concent or what can we do plz help me out here thanks.

I

itsacatsworld

Have you talked to your parents? They are the ones to give you some advice on this matter. The damage is done now it needs to be dealt with. Kid you better learn what birth control is before you get in any deeper.

ValleyManKOA

reply to itsacatsworld

yes of course and im taking responsiblility 4 wut u did but my parents dont speak good english and understand alot so i dont have a lot of support im doing a lot of it all by my self by working my ass of 2/47 from 2-9 mon-fri and sat 8-12 saving up cash but do u know wut i can do about the whole mother moving thing is there any laws on that or wut can i do plz reply...

BelizeBreeze

ValleyManKOA said:
California
Hi im a 16 year old father and my girlfriend just turned 17 our baby is due in 2 months me and my girlfriends mom dont get along 2 well.
Since my girlfriend is only 17 when my daughter is born her mom will have custody over the baby.
WRONG! Your girlfriend will have custody of her child and you can, at that time, file for custody and visitation which will require a Paternity test.
ValleyManKOA said:
We dont really want that and also her mom wants to move to another state my GF doesnt want to go but will have to because she is still a minor.
Wrong again. Your girlfriend can petition the courts for emancipation if she has a job or support from you.
ValleyManKOA said:
We also plan on getting married so my question is what can we do about this whole situation can she get Emanstipated without her mothers concent or what can we do plz help me out here thanks.
Your future mother-in-law has no control over the situation unless you and the girlfriend give it to her.

YOU file immediately upon the birth for custody and visitation and depending on the outcome you will be a legal father. Then go get a job and return to school during nights.

And then tell granny to stuff it.

CdwJava

ValleyManKOA said:
California
Since my girlfriend is only 17 when my daughter is born her mom will have custody over the baby. We dont really want that and also her mom wants to move to another state my GF doesnt want to go but will have to because she is still a minor. We also plan on getting married so my question is what can we do about this whole situation can she get Emanstipated without her mothers concent or what can we do plz help me out here thanks.
Neither of you will likely get emancipated without your parents' consent AND the ability to show that you can each support yourselves on your own without any government or family assistance. Having a child while still a teenager shows a great deal of irresponsibility and is usually an emancipation deal breaker for a judge.

Neither of you can get married without the approval of your parents until you are 18.

As BelizeBreeze mentions, take some action to prove paternity right away. if your name is on the birth certificate as dad, that will be half the initial battle. But then you will have to go to court to establish some legal control and to establish visitation or custody rights to prevent the mother and her parents from leaving the state.

The other thing to keep in mind is that under the law you have committed a criminal offense in CA. It is unlawful for you to have intercourse with a minor in this state - and you have a baby to prove it. When the police or CPS are informed, a report will be made. A sI understand it, slightly more than half the counties in CA still aggressively prosecute for consensual underage sexual relations ... so, the coin has been flipped.

- Carl

jpauline

Hi Im 16 and have been pregnant in the past wich ended in a miscaridge at 4 months, BUT, I was beginning to look at those laws too. My mother wanted to force me to have an abortion, but i didnt want one. Then when i convinced her to stop with that idea, she started in on my baby's father saying that he would have no custody or right to see that child....I talked to a lawyer and he said that my mother would have no choice in that matter, and that when i was to have my child emancipation would be a VERY easy thing to do since i am a CNA and make good money. If you can prove that you are going to be able to support your girlfriend and your child, its pretty much a done deal, although depending on the state you are in, it could take a long time to deal with the courts. My best friend is a 17 year old father, he has a hard life but he loves his son. He fought to see that child, he was in the same situation as you and his baby's mother's mother finaly gave up. I wish you MUCH luck, and take good care of your kid, it deserves nothing less then all of your love and attention. :)

Wolflmg

ValleyManKOA said:
California
You seem like a good guy. I wish my sister x boyfriend was more like you, when she ended up pregnant. He didn't want the kid, and his parents didn't want him to be a father. So they went behind my parents back and took my sister out of state and got rid of the baby. Even after my sister told my parents she wanted the baby. My niece or nephew would have been born this month, hadn't been for him and his parents.

What everyone is telling you is true, you can fight this, as long as your working hard and show the court you will be able to support her and the baby you shouldn't have too much problems.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">