• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm 17 can I leave?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KashiKashi

AK Whats the age of majority in Alaska? I'm 17, and I dont know if I have to be 17 or 18 to legally leave me parents

KashiKashi

If my parents are from a state that I can legally leave at 17, but I come to AK, then does that mean that I can be in AK, or is it cant be on ur own at 17 period?

Just Blue

KashiKashi said:
If my parents are from a state that I can legally leave at 17, but I come to AK, then does that mean that I can be in AK, or is it cant be on ur own at 17 period?

PLease...please ...try not to take this the wrong way...But judging be your spelling, grammar and typing skills you are not ready to be out on your own...Please consider finishing high school and going to college...You will enjoy being an adult a lot more if you have a good job and a good life..:)

baystategirl said:
PLease...please ...try not to take this the wrong way...But judging be your spelling, grammar and typing skills you are not ready to be out on your own...Please consider finishing high school and going to college...You will enjoy being an adult a lot more if you have a good job and a good life..:)

How does any of that have to do with maturity?

Just Blue

anthony361 said:

Because she is asking a question to a legal board, and doesn't have the sense to type and spell accordingly...She is spelling like she is on I.M. .;)

CdwJava

anthony361 said:
Part of "maturity" is being able to make a rational and reasonable decision. Entering the job market and the world of contractual and adult obligations prior to being prepared educationally and emotionally exhibits a lack of maturity.

Here are the requirements in Alaska:

Either the parent or the child can begin the process by filing certain papers in court. The statute governing emancipation in Alaska is AS 9.55.590, which has five requirements:

- The child must be a resident of Alaska
- The child has to be at least 16 years of age
- The child must be living separate and apart from the parents or guardian
- The child must be capable of supporting himself or herself financially and managing his or her own affairs
- Each parent or guardian must consent (although there are certain exceptions)

More info at: http://www.state.ak.us/courts/shceman.htm

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">