• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm 18 and concerned about my absences from school.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TylerN

Ohio.

Sorry, I didn't know exactly where to post this. I'm new here, but this is my current predicament.

I got a letter a few days back in the mail saying that I had reached my limit of how many days I could miss of school (8). I just recently started a job at Kroger's where I'm working 3rd shift and then going straight to school from work. There have been two days, one about a week ago, and then I signed out this morning because I was just so exhausted from not being able to sleep very well that past few nights. If they were to look back at my attendance records, they would see that I have only miss 4 - 6 days MAX from my Freshman year through my Junior year; My senior year has just been pretty tough when it comes to being sick and now the new job. So my question is: Does anyone think I'm going to get in trouble for leaving early one day and then calling off another so that I could catch up on sleep? I had a note for the first day and I called my parents (which I'm legally required to do to sign out) so the secretary said it would count as an excused leave. What does everyone else think?

commentator

Some states actually have laws that govern how many hours and how late high school students can work on school nights. Of course since you are over 18, you are not going to have the juvenile court attendance issues. But then, you're still in school. We assume your desire is to stay in regular school until you graduate with a regular high school diploma.

While you are in school, your priority is supposed to be school, not a job. Would you be willing to talk to a counselor about finishing your school year in some alternative situation, or are you willing to leave school and take a GED instead of a diploma?

If not, then face it, you're working too many hours and are putting too much into a short term situation (the job at Kroger) and not enough time and effort into this last year of high school you're doing. And you really can't expect your school officials to continue to "understand" that you were just so bushed from working your part time job that you couldn't make it to class.
Can they legally do anything to you if you get too many unexcused absences? Yes, they can remove you from school.

A job at Kroger is probably not your top priority in life. If it is wearing you out to the extent that you cannot avoid absences from your other job (which is school) then the Kroger job is the one that needs to be sacrificed.

Last edited:

TylerN

Some states actually have laws that govern how many hours and how late high school students can work on school nights. While you are in school, your priority is supposed to be school, not the job. Could you talk to a counselor about finishing your school year in some alternative situation, or are you willing to leave school and take a GED instead of a diploma? If not, then face it, you're working too many hours and are putting too much into a short term situation (the job at Kroger) and not enough time and effort into this last year of school you're doing. And you really can't expect your school officials to continue to "understand" that you were just so bushed from working your part time job that you couldn't make it to class.

A job at Kroger is probably not your top priority in life. If it is wearing you out to the extent that you cannot avoid absences from your other job (which is school) then the Kroger job is the one that needs to be sacrificed.
While normally I would agree with you, but the band I'm in is actually going to start touring as soon as I graduate, so the short term fix is actually helping me more in the long run and don't worry, that IS set in stone. I was simply asking if for having ten absences, is it possible I'm going to have to deal with the law in one way or another.

commentator

What if you have so many absences you do not pass your courses and do not graduate? They could decide to start docking your grades for unexcused absences, you know. You will effectively have wasted valuable time that you might have been using to tour with your band and have no diploma at the end of this year.

TylerN

I'm simply getting used to my new sleep schedule. The whole sleeping cycle thing and touring is not important at this exact moment. I'm simply asking if 10 absences is enough days for them to get some sort of higher authority involved.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Ohio.

Sorry, I didn't know exactly where to post this. I'm new here, but this is my current predicament.

I got a letter a few days back in the mail saying that I had reached my limit of how many days I could miss of school (8). I just recently started a job at Kroger's where I'm working 3rd shift and then going straight to school from work. There have been two days, one about a week ago, and then I signed out this morning because I was just so exhausted from not being able to sleep very well that past few nights. If they were to look back at my attendance records, they would see that I have only miss 4 - 6 days MAX from my Freshman year through my Junior year; My senior year has just been pretty tough when it comes to being sick and now the new job. So my question is: Does anyone think I'm going to get in trouble for leaving early one day and then calling off another so that I could catch up on sleep? I had a note for the first day and I called my parents (which I'm legally required to do to sign out) so the secretary said it would count as an excused leave. What does everyone else think?
R.C. § 2152.02

"Chronic truant" means any child of compulsory school age who is absent without legitimate excuse for absence from the public school the child is supposed to attend for seven or more consecutive school days, ten or more school days in one school month, or fifteen or more school days in a school year.

R.C. § 3321.01

A child between six and eighteen years of age is "of compulsory school age" for the purpose of sections 3321.01 to 3321.13 of the Revised Code. A child under six years of age who has been enrolled in kindergarten also shall be considered "of compulsory school age" for the purpose of sections 3321.01 to 3321.13 of the Revised Code unless at any time the child's parent or guardian, at the parent's or guardian's discretion and in consultation with the child's teacher and principal, formally withdraws the child from kindergarten. The compulsory school age of a child shall not commence until the beginning of the term of such schools, or other time in the school year fixed by the rules of the board of the district in which the child resides.

In other words you have been warned.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
R.C. § 2152.02

"Chronic truant" means any child of compulsory school age who is absent without legitimate excuse for absence from the public school the child is supposed to attend for seven or more consecutive school days, ten or more school days in one school month, or fifteen or more school days in a school year.

R.C. § 3321.01

A child between six and eighteen years of age is "of compulsory school age" for the purpose of sections 3321.01 to 3321.13 of the Revised Code. A child under six years of age who has been enrolled in kindergarten also shall be considered "of compulsory school age" for the purpose of sections 3321.01 to 3321.13 of the Revised Code unless at any time the child's parent or guardian, at the parent's or guardian's discretion and in consultation with the child's teacher and principal, formally withdraws the child from kindergarten. The compulsory school age of a child shall not commence until the beginning of the term of such schools, or other time in the school year fixed by the rules of the board of the district in which the child resides.

In other words you have been warned.
This section wouldn't seem to apply to an 18 year old attending high school.

Ladyback1

While normally I would agree with you, but the band I'm in is actually going to start touring as soon as I graduate, so the short term fix is actually helping me more in the long run and don't worry, that IS set in stone. I was simply asking if for having ten absences, is it possible I'm going to have to deal with the law in one way or another.
I sure hope you don't have stars in your eyes with the whole band "thing".
And please understand, I'm not knocking you. My significant other plays bass (a sweet little purple Carvin) in a band. They have toured all over Montana, Wyoming and Colorado. It's hard, exhausting, work...with long hours, and little sleep.

Please, please, please...take your schooling seriously. You only have about 3 months left. It would suck if you miss so much that you don't graduate.

But to answer your question: If your parents are aware of the absences, and vouch that each absence was for good reason (including any future absences) chances are you will not get into legal issues.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I'm simply getting used to my new sleep schedule. The whole sleeping cycle thing and touring is not important at this exact moment. I'm simply asking if 10 absences is enough days for them to get some sort of higher authority involved.
And the answer is simple - yes, it is enough.

And son - do not bank your future on "the band". More likely than not? Y'all are not the next Beatles, Stones, NIN, etc. More likely, you will end up broke, hooked on drugs and hooked to multiple groupies and the kids you spawn together. Yes, really. I'm all for following dreams - with an education to fall back on if those dreams don't pan out.

ajkroy

I teach high school and can tell you that our school would only give you slack if you had a medical reason (with supporting documentation). No note from a parent would get you out of your situation.

You will need your diploma for the rest of your life -- even if it is just to help you understand all of your big-time music contracts and count all of your money. Don't blow it now because you can't get your butt out of bed in the mornings. Either quit doing the late hours or do them and suck it up and go to school the next day.

Read your student handbook. It will tell you what the next step is after your number of absences. Look to see if there is an appeal process. Talk to your guidance counselor. But show up for the rest of the year, if for no other reason than not missing out on the end-of-the-year senior activities (Prom, graduation, any other events planned).

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">