• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place for this question,but I need advice.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Thisperson

Hello,I'm in a complicated situation,you see,the December I'll be 18,and I've checked and I know that that is the age of majority in indiana,and I was going to try and move out of my parents' house some time next year,the problem is,they don't want me to,and I don't have a passport,driver's licence/state id,they've lost my social security card,I also have no birth certificate,nothing but my birth record,I found a website that I could order a birth certificate from,and went through the order forms to see what I have to do,and I found out that the person ordering needs an id,which I don't have,I contacted the people at the website and they siad the best thing to do right now is the mail an application directly to the state,but There are no guarantees that they will send one.

I know it'll still be a while before I am legally an adult,but it'll be easier for me to relax if I know what I can do,so what should I do?

being whith my parents wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact that I strongly disagree with their social and religious views and the disagree with mine.

Isis1

Hello,I'm in a complicated situation,you see,the December I'll be 18,and I've checked and I know that that is the age of majority in indiana,and I was going to try and move out of my parents' house some time next year,the problem is,they don't want me to,and I don't have a passport,driver's licence/state id,they've lost my social security card,I also have no birth certificate,nothing but my birth record,I found a website that I could order a birth certificate from,and went through the order forms to see what I have to do,and I found out that the person ordering needs an id,which I don't have,I contacted the people at the website and they siad the best thing to do right now is the mail an application directly to the state,but There are no guarantees that they will send one.

I know it'll still be a while before I am legally an adult,but it'll be easier for me to relax if I know what I can do,so what should I do?

being whith my parents wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact that I strongly disagree with their social and religious views and the disagree with mine.
for a fee, you can walk into any DMV and get a state identification card.

you can also go to your local social security administration office and request a duplicate. this should be free of charge.

once you have your ID, you can walk into your department of vital records and pay the fee and they can issue you a copy of your birth certificate.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

you can also go to your local social security administration office and request a duplicate. this should be free of charge.

once you have your ID, you can walk into your department of vital records and pay the fee and they can issue you a copy of your birth certificate.
According to the state's web site, that's not true. The OP would need to have a document to prove his identity and a document to prove his social security number before he an get an ID card. http://www.in.gov/bmv/2766.htm

According to the state's web site, the OP would also need proof of identity in order to obtain a copy of the birth certificate. http://www.in.gov/isdh/20444.htm

SSA might be a bit easier to work with as the OP may be able to use a health insurance ID card as a form of ID.

I would suggest, though, (as you did) that the OP visit the DMV and ask for advice...

Proserpina

They will take an expired ID as proof (up here anyway), but to get a DV or State ID, you first need...ID. Same with SS card - you need proof you're who you are before you can get a replacement.

There is a way around this but it involves truth telling, affidavits and more often than not, local law enforcement.

Isis1

According to the state's web site, that's not true. The OP would need to have a document to prove his identity and a document to prove his social security number before he an get an ID card. http://www.in.gov/bmv/2766.htm

According to the state's web site, the OP would also need proof of identity in order to obtain a copy of the birth certificate. http://www.in.gov/isdh/20444.htm

SSA might be a bit easier to work with as the OP may be able to use a health insurance ID card as a form of ID.

I would suggest, though, (as you did) that the OP visit the DMV and ask for advice...
:( i'm getting old. times must have changed.

i had to do everything on my own at 17 as well since i also was not allowed any of my identifying information by my parent.

OP, your department of motor vehicles might allow you to use your school ID in order to get that started. look into it.

Thisperson

They will take an expired ID as proof (up here anyway), but to get a DV or State ID, you first need...ID. Same with SS card - you need proof you're who you are before you can get a replacement.

There is a way around this but it involves truth telling, affidavits and more often than not, local law enforcement.
As I said,all I have is my birth record.

Would you tell me what the other way is?

in my situation,I'm sure it's nothing I would mind.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
As I said,all I have is my birth record.

Would you tell me what the other way is?

in my situation,I'm sure it's nothing I would mind.
Actually, with that birth record and a school id, you may be able to obtain both your social security card and your birth certificate. Start with the social security card.

Thisperson

Actually, with that birth record and a school id, you may be able to obtain both your social security card and your birth certificate. Start with the social security card.
I was taken out of public school a long time ago,is there anything else?

Proserpina

I was taken out of public school a long time ago,is there anything else?

I've had to replace everything all at once before (including green-card) when I happened to lose my entire purse and wallet.

I was working with an attorney and a hospital, and they all traipsed down to the attorney's office to pinkie-promise that I'm me (normal people refer to this as "notarization") traipsed over to the police dept to pick up the "lost" report, traipsed back up to the social security office, got that sorted out, traipsed back down to get a temporary ID and after a couple of weeks everything arrived nice and shiny in my mail-box.

The point being, reputable folk standing for you can get you a long way.

Thisperson

I've had to replace everything all at once before (including green-card) when I happened to lose my entire purse and wallet.

I was working with an attorney and a hospital, and they all traipsed down to the attorney's office to pinkie-promise that I'm me (normal people refer to this as "notarization") traipsed over to the police dept to pick up the "lost" report, traipsed back up to the social security office, got that sorted out, traipsed back down to get a temporary ID and after a couple of weeks everything arrived nice and shiny in my mail-box.

The point being, reputable folk standing for you can get you a long way.
So I should start by seeing an attorney?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">