• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Indiana marriage consent law 16 year old pregnant female

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Trumpet

What is the name of your state? Indiana

After exhaustive reseach I am still unclear on an Indiana Marriage Law:

If a 16 year old female is pregnant, and the father of the child is an adult over 18 years of age. . can the two of them be married WITHOUT parental consent for the 16 year old pregnant female? I do understand this marriage is possible by law in Indiana, however I cannot find or understand the legal readings if parental consent is necessary for the pregnant 16 year old female.

My utmost thank you to all attorney's responses,

Trumpet

Trumpet

tigger22472,

I appreciate your attention to my question, and I spent much of my youth in Monticello, as my Grandfather had a wonderful place on Lake Freeman. . ah, back in the days Indiana Beach didn't have so much traffic from Gary Indiana. :) I surely do miss feeding those carp popcorn. . .

I had found each of those websites also. . however I don't see a clear indication of whether or not a 16 year old pregnant female in Indiana, is exempt from parental consent as implied in my original post/question. I respectfully request a yes or no answer, and any explaination you may be kind enough to share. . as my ability to fully comprehend reading law is not that of a qualified attorney.

Sincerely,

Trumpet

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm not a qualified attorney either but the law in that last link looked pretty clear to me.

rmet4nzkx

Is this marriage to avoid criminal charges?

You must be 18 years old or older to marry without parental consent. A birth certificate may be necessary to show proof of age.

If either partner is under 18, parents or legal guardians must be present. If a parent can not be present, due to death, separation, divorce or other circumstances, proper evidence must be presented for verification. You will need a certified copy of your birth certificate. If you are under 16 you can not marry without a court order.

Indiana Code 35-42-4-5
Enacted 1984
Amended 1994
IC 35-42-4-5 Sec. 5. (a) A person eighteen (18) years of age or older who
knowingly or intentionally directs, aids, induces, or causes a child
under the age of sixteen (16) to touch or fondle himself or another child
under the age of sixteen (16) with intent to arouse or satisfy the sexual
desires of a child or the older person commits vicarious sexual
gratification, a Class D felony. However, the offense is a Class C
felony if a child involved in the offense is under the age of fourteen
(14), and it is a Class B felony if the offense is committed by using or
threatening the use of deadly force, or while armed with a deadly
weapon, and a Class A felony if it results in serious bodily injury.
(b) A person eighteen (18) years of age or older who knowingly or
intentionally directs, aids, induces, or causes a child under the age
of sixteen (16) to:
(1) engage in sexual intercourse with another child under sixteen
(16) years of age;
(2) engage in sexual conduct with an animal other than a human being;
or
(3) engage in deviate sexual conduct with another person;
with intent to arouse or satisfy the sexual desires of a child or the
older person commits vicarious sexual gratification, a Class C
felony. However, the offense is a Class B felony if any child involved in
the offense is less than fourteen (14) years of age, and it is a Class A
felony if the offense is committed by using or threatening the use of
deadly force, or while armed with a deadly weapon, or if it results in
serious bodily injury.

Indiana Code 35-42-4-3
Enacted 1976
Amended 1994
IC 35-42-4-3 Sec. 3. (a) A person who, with a child under fourteen (14)
years of age, performs or submits to sexual intercourse or deviate
sexual conduct commits child molesting, a Class B felony. However, the
offense is a Class A felony if it is committed by using or threatening the
use of deadly force, or while armed with a deadly weapon, or if it results
in serious bodily injury.
(b) A person who, with a child under fourteen (14) years of age, performs
or submits to any fondling or touching, of either the child or the older
person, with intent to arouse or to satisfy the sexual desires of either
the child or the older person, commits child molesting, a Class C
felony. However, the offense is a Class A felony if it is committed by
using or threatening the use of deadly force, or while armed with a
deadly weapon.
(c) It is a defense that the accused person reasonably believed that the
child was sixteen (16) years of age or older at the time of the conduct.

Indiana Code 35-42-4-9
Enacted 1994
Amended 1994
IC 35-42-4-9 Sec. 9. (a) A person at least eighteen (18) years of age who,
with a child at least fourteen (14) years of age but less than sixteen
(16) years of age, performs or submits to sexual intercourse or deviate
sexual conduct commits sexual misconduct with a minor, a Class C
felony. However, the offense is a Class A felony if it is committed by
using or threatening the use of deadly force, or while armed with a
deadly weapon, or if it results in serious bodily injury.
(b) A person at least eighteen (18) years of age who, with a child at least
fourteen (14) years of age but less than sixteen (16) years of age,
performs or submits to any fondling or touching, of either the child or
the older person, with intent to arouse or to satisfy the sexual desires
of either the child or the older person, commits sexual misconduct with
a minor, a Class D felony. However, the offense is a Class B felony if it is
committed by using or threatening the use of deadly force or while armed
with a deadly weapon.
(c) It is a defense that the accused person reasonably believed that the
child was at least sixteen (16) years of age at the time of the conduct.
(d) It is a defense that the child is or has ever been married.

Trumpet

rmet4nzkx,

No it is not to avoid criminal charges, read my original post. . I am asking a yes or no question about a marriage law. I did not and do not have a question about the age of consent.

cbg,

What looked clear?, before you repeat "the law in that last link". . why not answer my question yes or no? Is there something that would get you in trouble for answering my question yes or no? I simply and from the very beginning of this thread. . want to know > If a 16 year old pregnant girl in the State of Indiana wants to marry the over 18 adult male father of her/their unborn child. . does she still need parental consent to marry this said man? Yes or No?

I have researched and read this website for 3 days now. . it is obvious a lot of posters like to play word games and show off their intellect. . I prayfully request that someone just gives me the straight answer.

Thank you,

Trumpet

missouri

the way I understand it

I'm not a lawyer and I'm not giving legal advice. This is just my comment about how I understand what I read in those links. It looks like, over and over again, any one under 18 (regardless if they are pregnant or are tall or have brown eyes or are not pregnant.....) needs consent of parents to marry. I did read one part that said that underage person may petition a judge to allow marriage without parental consent but I may have misunderstood that part. Why don't you call the county courthouse where you live in the department that issues marriage licenses and ask them?

rmet4nzkx

missouri said:
I'm not a lawyer and I'm not giving legal advice. This is just my comment about how I understand what I read in those links. It looks like, over and over again, any one under 18 (regardless if they are pregnant or are tall or have brown eyes or are not pregnant.....) needs consent of parents to marry. I did read one part that said that underage person may petition a judge to allow marriage without parental consent but I may have misunderstood that part. Why don't you call the county courthouse where you live in the department that issues marriage licenses and ask them?
And when they make thier petition to the judge, the judge will ask the same questions, because more than likely, there is some criminal involvement and that is the reason why the parents won't give consent in the first place, so it comes around to the age of consent.

Trumpet

rmet4nzkx said:
And when they make thier petition to the judge, the judge will ask the same questions, because more than likely, there is some criminal involvement and that is the reason why the parents won't give consent in the first place, so it comes around to the age of consent.
I hope you're never part of a jury. . you assume that which you do not know. There is no "more than likely", and it does not "come around" to anything, and I did not mention or incline that parents won't give consent. I just had a yes or no question. Reminds me of police, which reminds me to thank God for attorneys. . attorneys have a way of reminding the police the difference in each other's income/intelligence. :cool:

missouri,

"Why don't you call the county courthouse where you live in the department that issues marriage licenses and ask them?"

Excellent, that is what I will do, sometimes we(I) over look the simplest solutions. . as human nature sometimes dictates us that things must be complicated, thank you missouri. Like some of the reponses I got for example. ;)

Sincerely, and goodnight,

Trumpet

Happy Trails

Trumpet, the fact remains that she is still a minor. Her parents still have parental responsibilities and authority of her. This is why her parents would need to consent.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
All right, since apparently you cannot read, I'll spell it out for you loud and clear.

NO. A pregnant teenager in Indiana cannot get married without her parent's consent.

So you might try keeping it zipped next time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">