• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Interesting Underage Possesion Case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NwUntd

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Myself (Age 19) and two female friends of mine also aged 19 travelled by taxi last night to a local bar which is heavily populated by underage/college kids. Before we got in the taxi we asked the taxi driver if it would be ok if we took our beers with us. He told us yes as long as we left the car with them when we got there.

As we got to the bar, there were most likely fifty people outside, many of them obviously even under the age of 18 very visibly drunk stumbeling around. The second we stepped out of the taxi a police officer tells us to freeze. Panicking i dropped my beer can and kicked it away, not un noticed by the cop unfortunately. He took all of our licenses and made us sit in the back of his cop car for about 25 minutes. He was a real dick, but what can you expect from Cincinnati police after all?! He gave us all citations for Underage Possesion, telling us we all have to appear in court.

He did not however breathalize any of us, and none of us were visibly drunk, ie. not stumbeling or slurring speech or anything, could have been passed off as completely sober. This is all of our first offences, nothing in our past.. what exactly can we expect as punishment?

I have had friends who have had this offence in the past and they told me to plead "No Contest" when i go to court, and you are apparently offered eather to go into a course called Diversion and do 30 hours of community service or pay a fine in the region of $200. They said nothing goes on your permenant record or your drivers license, so I was wondering if someone could expain this truly?

I appreciate and thank you for your advice and help in advance!

averad

NwUntd said:

Myself (Age 19) and two female friends of mine also aged 19 travelled by taxi last night to a local bar which is heavily populated by underage/college kids. Before we got in the taxi we asked the taxi driver if it would be ok if we took our beers with us. He told us yes as long as we left the car with them when we got there.

As we got to the bar, there were most likely fifty people outside, many of them obviously even under the age of 18 very visibly drunk stumbeling around. The second we stepped out of the taxi a police officer tells us to freeze. Panicking i dropped my beer can and kicked it away, not un noticed by the cop unfortunately. He took all of our licenses and made us sit in the back of his cop car for about 25 minutes. He was a real dick, but what can you expect from Cincinnati police after all?! He gave us all citations for Underage Possesion, telling us we all have to appear in court.

He did not however breathalize any of us, and none of us were visibly drunk, ie. not stumbeling or slurring speech or anything, could have been passed off as completely sober. This is all of our first offences, nothing in our past.. what exactly can we expect as punishment?

I have had friends who have had this offence in the past and they told me to plead "No Contest" when i go to court, and you are apparently offered eather to go into a course called Diversion and do 30 hours of community service or pay a fine in the region of $200. They said nothing goes on your permenant record or your drivers license, so I was wondering if someone could expain this truly?

pos·ses·sion Audio pronunciation of "Possession" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (p-zshn)
n.

a. The act or fact of possessing.
b. The state of being possessed.

2. Something owned or possessed.

3. possessions Wealth or property.

4. Law. Actual holding or occupancy with or without rightful ownership.

5. A territory subject to foreign control.

6. Self-control.

7. The state of being dominated by or as if by evil spirits or by an obsession.

8. Sports.
a. Physical control of the ball or puck by a player or team.
b. The condition of being on offense: The home team was in possession during most of the fourth quarter.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Possession+&db=*

Your case isn't interesting at all, you sir are a fool.

Last edited:

Happy Trails

NwUntd said:

The legal drinking age in Ohio for consumption of an alcoholic beverage is 21. Purchasing, possessing or consuming alcohol prior to your 21st birthday is a first-degree misdemeanor. The maximum penalties associated with this offense are six months imprisonment or a $1,000 fine or both.

averad

NwUntd said:

Myself (Age 19) and two female friends of mine also aged 19 traveled by taxi last night to a local bar which is heavily populated by underage/college kids. Before we got in the taxi we asked the taxi driver if it would be ok if we took our beers with us. He told us yes as long as we left the car with them when we got there.

What a great idea lets illegally get some beer and then go out into public.

As we got to the bar, there were most likely fifty people outside, many of them obviously even under the age of 18 very visibly drunk stumbling around. The second we stepped out of the taxi a police officer tells us to freeze. Panicking i dropped my beer can and kicked it away, not un noticed by the cop unfortunately. He took all of our licenses and made us sit in the back of his cop car for about 25 minutes. He was a real dick, but what can you expect from Cincinnati police after all?! He gave us all citations for Underage Possession, telling us we all have to appear in court.

I_m so sorry the police officer was so rude, it was possibly because you had broken the law and attempted to cover it up.

He did not however breathalize any of us, and none of us were visibly drunk, ie. not stumbling or slurring speech or anything, could have been passed off as completely sober. This is all of our first offences, nothing in our past.. what exactly can we expect as punishment?

What does it matter you were not breathalized? You weren_t charged for consumption, you have been charge for possession (see definition above). Also your action of hiding the beer can shows you knew what you were doing was wrong.

I have had friends who have had this offence in the past and they told me to plead "No Contest" when i go to court, and you are apparently offered either to go into a course called Diversion and do 30 hours of community service or pay a fine in the region of $200. They said nothing goes on your permanent record or your drivers license, so I was wondering if someone could explain this truly?

You post topic is Interesting Underage Possession Case, however nothing about your case is interesting at all.

NwUntd

i wasnt asking for your fatherly advice and for you to give me a lecture. Im not stupid I know it was wrong, im not trying to fight it? Havent you ever been in college? good lord.. thats the reason i was asking what the punishments would be and if the best plea is No Contest in order to receive the minimum sentence....

Happy Trails

NwUntd said:
i wasnt asking for your fatherly advice and for you to give me a lecture. Im not stupid I know it was wrong, im not trying to fight it? Havent you ever been in college? good lord.. thats the reason i was asking what the punishments would be and if the best plea is No Contest in order to receive the minimum sentence....
For first time offenders, the court may order you into a diversion program that would be specified by the court and suspend punishment as a misdemeanor of the first degree. If you do get this and fail to complete the diversion program, the court will proceed with misdemeanor of the first degree and it's penalties.

racer72

NwUntd said:
He was a real dick
This comment proves one thing, you will never be nothing but a loser. Hopefully you will end up with a police record that will follow you the rest of your pitiful life. Just because you are going to college is about the lamest excuse there is for drinking. It is suppose to be the time you transition for a juvenile deliquent to a responsible adult. Remember those 5 words one day when when one of those Cincinnati police officers puts his life on the line to save your sorry butt. Respect will take you a long way, so far you are miles behind the starting line.

NwUntd

racer72 said:
This comment proves one thing, you will never be nothing but a loser. Hopefully you will end up with a police record that will follow you the rest of your pitiful life. Just because you are going to college is about the lamest excuse there is for drinking. It is suppose to be the time you transition for a juvenile deliquent to a responsible adult. Remember those 5 words one day when when one of those Cincinnati police officers puts his life on the line to save your sorry butt. Respect will take you a long way, so far you are miles behind the starting line.
i am entitled to my opinion.. i showed the officer nothing but respect during the whole incident.. he showed me none in return. Once again may I point out I am not asking you guys for life advice.. it was for legal advice.. maybe you should look at this forum again before you post? If you have some legal advice. ie if the best plea for the lowest punishment is No Contest I would appreciate it

Happy Trails

1.) Get a lawyer and see if he/she can get you the diversion program.

2.) Plead guilty and accept the punishment the judge hands you.

3.) Plead not guilty, and let it go to trial, then wait and see what happens.

4.) Flee the state/country and see if they issue a warrant for your arrest.

5.) Pretend it wasn't you and that you are the victim of identity theft.

6.) Tell the court you were practicing your soccer abilities and didn't know the can was beer.

7.) Call the officer a dick in court, because he wasn't nice to you. Then start to cry.....

Oh, the list could go on and on.....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">