• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Interstate Compact of a Juvenile

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chaos.Rains

What is the name of your state? Texas

My 16 year old bipolar/schizoeffective daughter ran away on 3/19/08. She was found in Los Angeles County, CA on 04/14/2008 and placed in a juvenile hall there until we could pick her up. We flew out to pick her up and were then told that she had made allegations of abuse and we would no longer be able to take her home until a hearing was held. The hearing was held on 4/16 and we were told that TX had 30 days to request her back through interstate compact (which TX has done). We were investigated by CPS, my other three children were questioned and the CPS case was closed because there was no abuse going on.

When we went to CA we took a copy of my daughter's psychological report and her prescription medications, but were told we could not leave them CA would have to do their own psych eval and give her medications... this has not happened yet. So basically my daughter has been unmedicated for almost three months.

She spoke to us on the phone last night, and said that she did not want to come home, and that she was going to get her GED and go into foster care. She is only 16 and unmedicated for severe mental illness... can the state of CA refuse to send her home just because she does not wish to come home?

Has anyone dealt with interstate compact before? How long does it usually take for a transfer? It has been almost three weeks since TX requested her back and we are going crazy waiting

Last edited:

mommyof4

Interstate compact of a juvenile attempts to provide a solution to subdue the chaos that 'rains' when the juvies are out of control.

Chaos.Rains

Time the Process Takes... ?

Mommyof4, thanks for your response. I actually did know what it was for as we are using it now to get our 16 y/o runaway daughter back to Texas from California.

I have talked to the juvenile probation office here and this is only the second interstate control transfer of a juvenile they have ever done. Both the probation department and ourselves have been shocked that the request for transfer was submitted almost 4 weeks ago nowand we still have not heard anything.

The reason for my posting was to try and figure out if anyone had experience with how long this process usually takes, etc.

Thanks to anyone who can give me any input on this

Indiana Filer

Mommyof4, thanks for your response. I actually did know what it was for as we are using it now to get our 16 y/o runaway daughter back to Texas from California.

I have talked to the juvenile probation office here and this is only the second interstate control transfer of a juvenile they have ever done. Both the probation department and ourselves have been shocked that the request for transfer was submitted almost 4 weeks ago nowand we still have not heard anything.

The reason for my posting was to try and figure out if anyone had experience with how long this process usually takes, etc.

Thanks to anyone who can give me any input on this
Since the local probation department doesn't have the info or experience to help you, my suggestion, as a juvenile probation officer, is for you to call the person in charge of the Interstate Compact for juveniles in TX. I know that here in IN I can call Bob (our IC juvenile administrator) and he will cut through the red tape and get things done. Or he'll explain why things are the way they are.

Ask the local probation department for the contact info for the state administrator of the juvenile Interstate Compact.

Chaos.Rains

Thank you

Indiana Flier,

Thanks so much for the information. I called the probation department this morning and they gave me th econtact number for the Interstate Compact guy for our state. I was able to find out that my daughter went to a hearing on Friday 5/16 and they told her she would be back in TX before the 30th of this month (probably way before then... they are supposed to call me either Today or Tomorrow to set up transfer arrangements)

Thanks again! The waiting and not knowing was driving me insane!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">