• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I've got an Interview for theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mymistake

What is the name of your state? Indiana

Ok I have posted about this before when it happened but i recently got a letter from a Probation court saying i needed to attend an interview( also said in bold letters it was not a court hearing) for IC 35-43-4-2FD THEFT. I would just like to know what happens at an interview, what an interview might lead up to (court hearing) and what the worst and least can happen for the crime. Thank you for any advice and help :D

Indiana Filer

What is the name of your state? Indiana

Ok I have posted about this before when it happened but i recently got a letter from a Probation court saying i needed to attend an interview( also said in bold letters it was not a court hearing) for IC 35-43-4-2FD THEFT. I would just like to know what happens at an interview, what an interview might lead up to (court hearing) and what the worst and least can happen for the crime. Thank you for any advice and help :D
You probably are being ordered to attend an Intake Hearing, which is held by a Probation Officer. The Officer will read you and your parent(s) your rights. They will then go over the police report with you and then will make a report to the Prosecutor's Office with a recommendation about what should happen to your case. They'll recommend one of the following: Petition Alleging Delinquency to be filed with the court, an Informal Adjustment, or dismissal. The Prosecutor will go over the report and will make the final decision. If a Petition is filed, you'll go before the court and have a chance to admit or deny the charge, and if you deny, they will have a Fact-Finding Hearing, which is basically a trial for a juvenile offense. If you admit or are found to have committed the offense, you'll be placed on Probation as your Disposition (or sentence). An Informal Adjustment is when you admit to the Probation Officer and get placed on probation without going to court. The costs are a lot less if this happens since you don't have to pay Court Costs or Administrative Fees. It really depends upon the circumstances and how much was alleged to have been stolen.

When you go to this hearing, you aren't obligated to speak to the Probation Officer. (YOU ARE REQUIRED TO ATTEND THIS APPOINTMENT! If you don't appear, you will most definitely have to go to court.) After the Probation Officer reads you your rights, you may state that you don't want to speak with the Officer about this matter. In that case, I can just about guarantee that a Petition will be filed against you.

I don't have my sentencing guidelines with me, since I'm at home, so I can't tell you exactly how long your term of probation might be. It really depends upon the level of theft, and how much was stolen. I'm guessing it's a felony though.

I'm a Juvenile Probation Officer for Indiana. Who knows, I might be the one you speak to when you come in for the Intake Interview. What county are you in?

Last edited:

mymistake

St. Joseph County. Me and a friend of mine stole a couple of purses but we returned everything but a few things that we threw away. We already payed for those. BTW this is a first offence

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">