• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judge Ordered for me to be refunded for my losses and criminals are finding ways arou

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

audimanone

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

To whomever takes the time to read and provide the help I so desperately need,
:mad:I was a victim of a crime and was awarded an amount of money to partially compensate me for my losses. The 2 kids were ordered to pay restitution for their crimes and almost a year later, the courts sent me a check for $2.50! I am owed over $1200 which only partially pays for my losses. I called the juvenile courts and they told me that these kids may not have a job and also that once they are off probation or turn 18, then they no longer have to continue paying for their crimes! I am so upset about this because I thought that since they were juveniles, that the parents were responsible for their little *******s actions and that they would have to make compensation to me, then they could be repaid by their children. I was told that the only way I could get compensated was to sue them in court, but that means that I'll need to pay for a lawyer and maybe I'll get what the judge ordered. This makes no sense, why should I have to hire an attorney? I mean, I am going to have to spend my hard earned money to collect what is legally mine? What should I do? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Thanks once again for your time and for helping me.
Respectfully,
David Barth
(Very Frustrated)

Mass_Shyster

Let me start by saying that I haven't found a good online resource for PA law, so this is very general.

The juvenile court that adjudicate the juveniles as delinquint (criminal court finds people guilty) has no jurisdiction over an 18 year old person, hence the expiration of the restitution order. Criminal courts do not take over juvenile cases. That's just the way the system works.

You should be able to sue in civil court. In order to do that you must prove that the defendants are liable for your damages, and you must prove your damages. The juvenile court order for restitution will prove that they are liable for your damages, and the $1200 will prove an amount of damages. You may or may not be able to sue for more.

You should be able to sue in small claims court. This will give you a judgment, but you will still be required to go through your own collection efforts. Judgments are good for a numebr of years, and when these guys get jobs, you should be able to garnish their wages.

The last thing you need to do is check the statute of limitations. You may be precluded from get a judgment if the cause of action took place too long ago.

You will also need to check the PA laws to see if parents are financially liable for actions of their children. That requires a specific law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">