• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Juvenile 5th Degree Assault in Minnesota

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

travismac

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

I am 17, and at the time of my offense, i was 16. and while playin basketball, some kid started saying some derogatory things about my recently deceased mother. so i waited for him in the parking lot, and beat the hell out of him. he called the cops, they talked to me, and i told them exactly what he had said and all that. each of the 3 different police officer i talked to said that my case would not even make it to court. well it did, and my idiot county attorney said i would get community service at the max. i recieved 6 months probation, 24 hours community service, i have to write an apology letter to the kid, and i have to pay for any therapy he needs because of how "traumatic" the event was. what can i do???

CdwJava

Not much you CAN do. You lost ... you committed the crime, and you lost.

Do you really expect to get off for way-laying some idiot and kicking the heck out of him? You may have gotten off easy ... count your blessings.

- Carl

quincy

I guess the smartest thing for you to do is the 24 hours of community service, pay for the therapy the boy you beat up requires, and write a letter of apology. Then try to stay out of trouble while you are on probation.

It sucks for sure to have someone say something derogatory about someone you love, especially your mom, whose loss I am sure you are still grieving. However, words are not illegal (usually) but beating someone up for saying those words is (always).

Make your apology short and sweet. You don't have to mean what you write, but it should sound like you do. And don't turn the letter of apology into an excuse of why you beat him up. Just apologize and leave it at that.

Sorry about your mom.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">