• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Juvenile Daughter Caught Shoplifting in OHIO

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ksedar

What is the name of your state? OHIO

Hello, my 15 year old kid just got caught shoplifting just under 350.00 bucks worth of stuff at a JC Penneys. Needless to say, her father and I are mortified. She has never been in trouble with the police before. I called her cell phone and found out she and her friend were in the store office and the LP guy told me to just go home and he would call me two hours later, that I could sit in the store if I wanted to but couldn't be in the office with her. She has no idea what she signed in there, I didn't even know she was signing anything. My husband went to pick her up when they called and he had to sign a release to take her home. Most of the stuff she got caught with was actually stolen by her friend and stuck in my daughters purse but I guess she is responsible for everything they found on her. The LP guy told my husband that they are pressing charges with the court and we will be responsible for paying a Civil Demand also. I had never heard of that, I did find out what it is by searching the internet. I don't think we will be able to afford to pay that, plus the court costs and fines that she will be facing. My question is, what will happen now. She was caught on Friday. Does anyone know anything about Ohio law and what will happen and what we should do. I am just sick about this....The Mom.

JETX

ksedar said:
Does anyone know anything about Ohio law and what will happen and what we should do.
Yep. Pretty simple:
1) Get her an attorney. If you can't afford one, tell the court. After getting ALL of your financial information (to confirm), the court will appoint one.
2) She will have a trial... or plead guilty.
3) The court will assess a fine and/or probably a probated sentence and/or community service.
4) The store will contact you with a demand for payment. If you don't pay it, they will file a lawsuit and get a judgment against you for more than the demand (to cover legal fees, court costs, etc.).

Oh, and your little 'darlin' will now have a CRIMINAL record. Her little escapade just cost you a boatload full of money and anguish. Hope you make her work off the cost. The anguish, you get to keep for free.

BelizeBreeze

JETX said:
Yep. Pretty simple:
1) Get her an attorney. If you can't afford one, tell the court. After getting ALL of your financial information (to confirm), the court will appoint one.
2) She will have a trial... or plead guilty.
3) The court will assess a fine and/or probably a probated sentence and/or community service.
4) The store will contact you with a demand for payment. If you don't pay it, they will file a lawsuit and get a judgment against you for more than the demand (to cover legal fees, court costs, etc.).

Oh, and your little 'darlin' will now have a CRIMINAL record. Her little escapade just cost you a boatload full of money and anguish. Hope you make her work off the cost. The anguish, you get to keep for free.
PERFECT ANSWER!!!!

THis should be the default FA answer to all shoplifting posts from this day forward....

I'm going to steal it ;)

ksedar

Thank you for the quick response. It appears as if I will be held responsible for THE BRATZ actions. I would love for her to get a job to pay for all this, but I am afraid that she has ruined any chance of that now that she has a record for THEFT....who the heck would want to hire her? She has lost ALL priviledges in her life and sits like a bump on her bed all day, but that won't help me get the money together for all this. How long do I have to save all this money? Is there any way to tell how much the civil demand will be, do they give you time to pay it or take payments? Will they take her away to jail if I can't pay the court costs and fines in full at the time of the court date?

E

eme76

not legal advice

ksedar said:
Thank you for the quick response. It appears as if I will be held responsible for THE BRATZ actions. I would love for her to get a job to pay for all this, but I am afraid that she has ruined any chance of that now that she has a record for THEFT....who the heck would want to hire her? She has lost ALL priviledges in her life and sits like a bump on her bed all day, but that won't help me get the money together for all this. How long do I have to save all this money? Is there any way to tell how much the civil demand will be, do they give you time to pay it or take payments? Will they take her away to jail if I can't pay the court costs and fines in full at the time of the court date?

mom to mom advice...if she cant get a "real"job...make her work it off at home...i am sure you(or whoever) could use a break from cleaning...laundry...yard work etc...set a $ amount to each chore to be done and keep her busy till its paid off
good-luck

JETX

ksedar said:
I would love for her to get a job to pay for all this, but I am afraid that she has ruined any chance of that now that she has a record for THEFT....who the heck would want to hire her?
See previous post for an EXCELLENT solution.

How long do I have to save all this money?
Depends. You have until an attorney wants payment, court sets fine and until the merchant makes a demand. Could be anywhere from one day... to several months.

Is there any way to tell how much the civil demand will be
The specific law can be found online at:
http://onlinedocs.andersonpublishing.com/oh/lpExt.dll/PORC/1137f/1172d/11851/11852?fn=document-frame.htm&f=templates&2.0#

do they give you time to pay it or take payments?
Depends. You can certainly try to negotiate a payment plan with the merchant.

Will they take her away to jail if I can't pay the court costs and fines in full at the time of the court date?
Unlikely.

ksedar

Will they take her away to jail if I can't pay the court costs and fines in full at the time of the court date?

Unlikely.

Darn**************:mad:

weenor

ksedar said:

Unlikely.

Darn**************:mad:
You don't have to tell HER that.;)

Just Blue

eme76 said:
mom to mom advice...if she cant get a "real"job...make her work it off at home...i am sure you(or whoever) could use a break from cleaning...laundry...yard work etc...set a $ amount to each chore to be done and keep her busy till its paid off
good-luck

Here's some more Mom to Mom advice...Does your daughter have "stuff"...ie..Ipod...stereo system...t.v. ...ect?? Do you have an Ebay acct??...Get where I'm going with this..humm..?? Also...Let all the reletives know that from now till this is paid for Jr. will need $$ for birthdays and christmas..ALL check should be made payable to you...;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">